radiator flush - tips & help needed

GlanzaMat

Member +
guys;

i'm going to flush the radiator this morning on the ep91

any tips from anyone

does anyone know roughly how much water they hold?
any particular antifreeze? and what ratio?
any bleeding techniques?

thanks

bens ep-82

Member +
flush the rad out with hose pipe or somthing and do a 50/50 mix using the pink toyota antifreeze if you can. when you bleed it make sure your heater is set to hot so you dont get an air lock in the heater matrix. run the car up with the rad cap off and top it up as the coolent drops. leave it until the fan cuts in and then check that your interior heatear is blowing hot and make sure that both the top and bottom water pipes going into the rad are hot.:)

GlanzaMat

Member +
flush the rad out with hose pipe or somthing and do a 50/50 mix using the pink toyota antifreeze if you can. when you bleed it make sure your heater is set to hot so you dont get an air lock in the heater matrix. run the car up with the rad cap off and top it up as the coolent drops. leave it until the fan cuts in and then check that your interior heatear is blowing hot and make sure that both the top and bottom water pipes going into the rad are hot.:)

just what i was after, thanks!

i'm new to glanza;s so you'll have to bare with me

i guess i fill the radiator right to the top? is the header tank (next to the rad) just an overflow? as i see it has a min & max mark on it

bens ep-82

Member +
just what i was after, thanks!

i'm new to glanza;s so you'll have to bare with me

i guess i fill the radiator right to the top? is the header tank (next to the rad) just an overflow? as i see it has a min & max mark on it

yeah fill the rad to the top then fill the headertank to the max line

weeJohn

Lifer
If you use a detergent to flush the system out, it will take at least 3 times of draining it out and refilling with clean water to remove all the detergent from the cooling system.

You really need to get it all out as if you dont, because its detergent, it bubbles inside the cooling system. Bubbles do not work well in the cooling system lol.

After draing the flush out, refill the system with clean water and run the engine for 2 mins with the rad cap off. Drain and repaet as many times as it takes until you dont see bubbles forming at the neck of the rad. Keep flushing any bubbles away from the neck when the engine is running to check if they are all gone.

After filling the system with water and antifreeze as described above, after the cars first good run check the levels when the engine cools down again, as sometimes pockets of air take a run to get them dislodged.

Takes time but can save you a headgasket change!!!

vtecpete

Member +
most antifreezes are 60/40 50/50 it will tell you on the bottle, i used a rad flush, i empteid the rad following the tutorial on here and then refilled with the rad flush and left in in for 40miles, then empty again and refill with antifreeze.

also clean the rad hoses there can be a lot of sludge in them

weeJohn

Lifer
ohh yeah i know; its just i have a girlfriend who wants thing doing round the house!

Tell her unless she wants to flush the cooling system on your car herself, she can fuck off or do the other jobs instead, as they wont cost money for a further repair bill if they are not done.

Thats what I would say to your girlfriend...............................not mine, she would twat me lol!!!

GlanzaMat

Member +
Tell her unless she wants to flush the cooling system on your car herself, she can fuck off or do the other jobs instead, as they wont cost money for a further repair bill if they are not done.

Thats what I would say to your girlfriend...............................not mine, she would twat me lol!!!

if i said that my cloths would be in a black bin liner before i knew it. lol

Archergod

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys. If I want to flush the whole system not just the radiator is it ok to open the plug at the bottom, run water into the top of the radiator and start the engine? I was told by a guy this is the way to flush the whole system. Another thing. Since the Toyota Long Life coolant is pre mixed and water from the radiator's gotta be drained but how do I get rid of the water in the engine itself so that it does not dilute the coolant? Thanks loads!!!