Rear Brake pad removal/installation

turbo-roj

Member +
Hello guys and gals,

will be changing my rear brake pads this weekend, along with rear suspension and brake fluid change

getting a bit nervous about needing to screw back in piston when replacing the pads,

feedback from people who have changed their pads would be appreciated (im a virgin to this you see!) and any advice on screwing the piston back in (without using a special tool!) will be greatly muchly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

oh also noticed there is no tutorial for this!

madman

Member +
its dead easy buddy you can even by a tool to do it but a screwdriver will do the same job... nothing to worry about just screw and push and it will go back in....

turbo-roj

Member +
right, for some reason im thinking the piston will be hard to get to, but presumably can take the caliper off to get to it?

oh and also - will it be safe to use DOT 5.1? question has been asked but noone said if it is safe or woteva? last thing i want is it to eat ma brake lines!

madman

Member +
yeah it should go back in relatively easy... yeah 5.1will be fine will just need changing more regulary is all

rep me....:)

madman

Member +
yeah the tool would be handy but for the amount of time your gonna use it i personally think its a waste....... but it is possible to do it without just a little awkwark have done it a few times with a screw driver never had any problems with it....

GTdan

In The Closet
i did my rear brakes just before xmas, tried it without a tool ie using a screwdriver but after 30mins i gave up.

bought the tool off ebay (6quid delivered) and made life so much easier.

Gte some copper grease too for putting on the back of the pads.

lleey2k4

Member +
Done mine today pretty easy. 2 bolts to undo, swap pads over and using the tool to wind the piston back put the bolts back in done it in 20 mins on my dinner simple :)

Would have done a tutorial but never had my camera on me :p

kellygt

Member +
A long nose pliers will do this job aswell quiet easily just open it
and put it in the two slots on the piston and wind away...:)

ChrisGT

Member +
The pistons can be screwed in with a big screw driver as I managed it - but if you can, buy the right tool! Will just be a lot quicker! Easy job mate, you'll be fine!

jomista2k7

Fresh Recruit
im going to replace the back pads tomorrow as i changed the front ones today if i have time i will take a few snaps k