Rebuilding your Mk1 GT Glow Badge. A guide.

So you bought yourself a Starlet GT, ( 1990/1991/1992) and while admiring its beauty ( supposedly with the headlights on ) you see it.
your rear badge, is not functioning. the glow, is gone.

as was the case with my starlet when i bought it. at the time i had no images of the badge as i did not exactly know how rare, nor difficult it was to fix.
image0.jpg

here in this thread, will be some crucial information on What to do. what is possible to Fix, and how to do it.

First up, The basic disclaimer, Touching your glow badge, EVEN IF, it looks good, will generally result in its Death.
roughly 60% of the time. Uninstalling and handling it, from the car will boost that number significantly.
30+ years of UV damage and general heat soaking will have taken its toll.

Should you undergo the aforementioned Guide, there is no going back. the TGTT forums are not to be held responsible for you Damaging what little still works on your car. badge wise anyway.

Part 1.

you have removed your Rear Garnish.
there are 4 screws holding the glow assembly into the garnish, said garnish does not suffer the uv issue, it should still be sturdy.
remove the 4 screws holding the badge in, this should be relatively easy.

grnsh.png

Should you be successful, the badge will slide out from its place.
Set the garnish aside. ( optionally replace the screws into the garnish so as not to lose them )

At this point your badge is free, and Should be on a workbench/soft area so as not to damage it.

nbadegrg.png
there it is. the most important and or rare part of your car.

now, on the left and right side of the assembly, there are 2 screws holding in the wired section of the badge.
Do not touch them, in order to repair your badge, we need a few things.

what normally happens is the mounting points can break here. the screws are long, and have not been removed for a VERY long time.
we are just going to avoid messing with any of that.

instead. you are going to go to Facebook, And navigate to the Australian starlet page, "AU Starlet Club"
From here. either make a post And ask for, OR find, Robert Biviano

he sells the rear assembly Unit and Led package you need. This unit will replace the Rear part of the GLOW BADGE Entirely.
Buy it, and do not mess around, lots of work went into making a good product here and i have personally tested each Version of said Assembly.
you are after V2. shown below. (you can customize the color of the badge's led here, but i opt you do not do that, instead just choose green. )

296713236_1878356259035264_1413004489932696864_n.jpg
(Glow badge Rear housing V2) inside is one led strip glued into place, the main faceplate, with a seethrough ish plate glued to it, and the several screws for the front faceplate,

part two below.

Attachments

• cutbdg.png
    cutbdg.png
    630.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Jay
Part 2

Removing the perspex lens from your damaged glow badge, below is the EXACT piece you need. yours may still have a sticker, which is not overly needed. if yours is still good, dont mess with it.

Removing this piece can be Damaging to it, it is glued on, but 30 years of uv will destroy that, so be Very. Careful.
small chips to the very outer part are ok, but try to damage the oem badge casing before prying this part, as the casing is going in the bin anyway.
PXL_20220926_035716492.jpg
( this ^ perspex lens was mid buff, hence the dirty-ness )

once that is done. take the time to CAREFULLY Buff the outside part ( the part ^ facing us ) to remove scratches and such.
i used any compounds i had laying around for buffing headlights. meguiars scratch x worked very well for me.

mine was personally very damaged, so the sticker was not saveable, however as i found out while trying every method to fix this, it actually does not matter at all. Clear works well.

Last edited:
Part 3

The assembly.

with a nice and shiny/buffed/cleaned lens in front of you. and your new rear housing ordered and delivered from Rob, Grab the Old Housing parts we removed earlier, they look like this, this one is Jey's. the part we want here is the snapped lens pictured, yours should not be snapped.

this is the diffusion lens, and without it, your light will be WAY too bright in certain spots, and of course it will not spread the led light provided over the entire GT logo.
20210906_105457[1].jpg

grab this piece and put it inside the New Housing Provided by Rob. ( i think i 3m taped mine to the upper part, shown below )

toyota was very smart in designing this part, it diffuses light frim the sides for the original Bulbs, to the centre, but it can also do the opposite, spreading light to the sides of the Housing when used right.

PXL_20220926_022940921.jpg
then. re add the cover over it again, seal the 4 screws.

Finally, Grab the new complete housing and put the perspex lens into the rear garnish, it will slot in, and sit there.
add your New built housing over the top, and screw the 4 screws back in.

Last edited:
Part 4 The Finished Product.

Here is what you wanted to achieve. Hopefully you did not damage much during the process,

The New housing will provide a silouhette of the GT logo regardless of if you have a sticker.

this is what that looks like all put together.
PXL_20220926_040339313.jpg

Once put together, it can be still Excessively Bright. but that is good.
PXL_20220926_043331937.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg

i know it is not Exactly the same, BUT, it is Very close. My badge was Utterly Ruined, but depsite that the results are fantastic
340437626_536713261980865_4781355124086621505_n.jpg

Overall this guide is the best chance you have to fix your Glow badge. Short of buying a nice Oem one, which is slim to none findable.
you can get 90% of the niceness and functionality using this guide.

Last edited:
Misc info on glow badges.

pictured is a V1 Rear housing, (provided by rob ) with no Perspex lens, after one year.
the sun sucks, so you cannot half ass this repair and not use a lens, you must do the Full repair.
PXL_20220925_031156998.jpg

The incandescent bulbs the OEM badge used at one point are proprietary, and are not possible to find, do not even try.
they have been that way for many years, do not waste your time.

The Part number for the Glow Badge Will also, Net you nothing, it is a waste of time trying to locate a new one, they do not exist.

Credit to the owners of said badge images. James, And Also Jay on the forums.

Last edited:

SKINY

Lifer
Nice guide Buddy :)
1 small issue, I'm not on Facebook lol
This would be a good group buy for us I reckon

To add, the bulbs can be purchased still from RS. I will get the part number when I have a min
seriously? even amayama cant get them. how is that a thing?

what is RS?

i have an almost new badge ready to go. it however did not have any bulbs as per usual.
309951170_1640233453073345_1990911230841830129_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sean-90

Member +
Bought a replacement assembley from Rob last year for mine... Still putting the job off for fear of breaking something!

Great write up though, fair play and thanks! This will help a lot when i do attempt it!
Also good to know I don't really need the sticker with the new setup, as mine is pretty faded!

dac69er

Super Moderator

SKINY

Lifer
20230424_221352.jpg20230424_221333.jpg20230424_221319.jpg
Well mangled lol, should have the other mount point somewhere lol, going to soak it in hot water see if it comes apart easy, looking at it it just wants to break in my hand :)

SKINY

Lifer
What price does yer Man on stalkerbook charge for them Bud ?
There's numerous 3d printing places about here now I've looked for them

SKINY

Lifer
That works out around the 80£ area.

Can anyone that has pictures off these and all the components please post them for reference :)

That works out around the 80£ area.

Can anyone that has pictures off these and all the components please post them for reference :)
A stock glow badge is made of the following parts all glued / stuck together. From the bottom to top.

first, the terrible rear housing, and the side bulb holders.

hs1.png

second part inside that, loosely fit, you have the diffuser panel, the seethrough bit, this is in the middle of the badge.

rearg.jpg
then, you have on top of those, the Valuable bit, the perspex lens,

PXL_20220926_035716492.jpg

Last edited: