dark_knight

Member +
just curious.. i have an aging motor so i never push it that hard. actually i can count how many times i've been over 5.5k revs :)
so just wondering, the OEM redline is at ~7.2k. at what point does the rev limiter kick in..? 8k..? 8.5k..? of course this is on the assumption of a nearly stock if not fully stock motor with no fueling or boost/turbo mods..

AdamB

Member +
As far as I know the rev limit is at 7200, unless you have an aftermarket ecu. I found that when I got to about 6400 the engine really lacked power and that's obviously when the turbo ran out of puff. There's nothing wrong with redlining as that's what is set to save engine damage or due to
no more power is to be made beyond that point. It does put more stress on bearings, bolts etc in the bottom end.

dark_knight

Member +
this motor's power band is actually set to around 6.4k, right..? so it all make sense.. & we're not trying to compete with VTEC boys who rev to 19 million revs anyway.. :)

rosso321

Member +
From past experience I've went through 2 alternators from reving near the 7 mark. Was told the alternator won't go past 6600rpm so I don't

dark_knight

Member +
alternator?

really rosso321..? i thought the alternator (& charging system in general) has a safety cutout at about 14 VDC..? or was it the alternator itself getting fried..?

rosso321

Member +
It smoked I set the unit inside on fire bit of smoke alright lol. Yea I didn't even red lined it. Got my org rebuilt and he tested and told me 6600rpm hopes this answers your question.

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
Didn't know that! There's plenty of members on here though which use aftermarket ecu's which raise the rev limit, and they don't seem to have a problem?

dac69er

Super Moderator
It smoked I set the unit inside on fire bit of smoke alright lol. Yea I didn't even red lined it. Got my org rebuilt and he tested and told me 6600rpm hopes this answers your question.

sounds like crap to me. many people run over those revs and have no problems, me included. my car is a 91 on the original alternator and its fine.

mudi

Member +
my V is stock atm and i go past 7000 mostly and my turbo doesnt seem to run out of puff.. and car runs fine .

Mikey4410

Member +
redlined the crap outa mine every day,never heard such alternator related tripe !!! did make me grin,even my n/a gets thrashed everyday and takes it like a man.i have never ever heard of cars alternators not being made to deal with high engine rpms.its not true

Skalabala

Member +
If you have stronger rods it will rev to 10k with cams no problem.
4ET won't break!
Lots of people sits at 9K. But I suppose you do not need to rev a stock engine(CT9) past 6k as there is lots of usable power before 6k :)
However constant high reving will result in premature big end failure.