Relocating Battery

Gally_1

Fresh Recruit
Quick question, when relocating the battery to the boot of the car, what part of the firewall do i pass the cable through and where inside the car does it come out, any help much appreciated.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Usuall people pass it down the passenger side of the car for convience, all you need to worrie about is the Positive, Earth can be attached to a point in the boot,

All you need to do is to try and avoid any audio wires as it can cause interfierance, if you have to cross an audio wire try and do it at a 90degree angle this will stop any interfierance

Jay

Admin
Settle Petal...

I used a hole behind the glovebox (circled in green) and you can see the battery cable (indicated in green). I have routed it out of the way now (indicated in blue).

Got to be worth a few cents yes? :D

Attachments

• battery cable routing.jpg
    battery cable routing.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 51

Jay

Admin
I don't have mind of the cable thickness but the positive terminal was still left in the engine bay and yes I should really have put a fuse in for safety sake..

Jay

Admin
where did you get the insulated terminal?

Erm... a bit of a custom wrapped affair with black insulating tape. This was the most budget of budget builds amigo. As anyone who saw the car in the flesh can testify. ;)

can someone post the pic on here as it wont let me view it. thanks

attachment.php

SWJ

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/138498-battery-relocation-engine-trunk.html

Basic's arte the same and this gives a part list. The distribution box allows you to run the new cable. I belive I cut the original hot cable off and put the ends into the distribution box so I never had to touch the starter or any cable on the hot side.
I kept the orginal ground under the hood and added a new short ground in the back. Did it a couple of years ago so the details are fuzzy but thats the basics.

Last edited:

billy_wizz

Member +
hello bmw mini's have there battery in the boot and have a + terminal in the engin bay so try going to bmw they can sort you out
billy