Removing steering wheel?

supernova

Member +
Anyone know how to remove a steering wheel on a 98 spec glanza with airbag? I can't even seem to get the plastic cover off. Thanks!

glanzanut

Lifer
first of all mate u need to disconnect the battery for 15mins to ensure u wont set the bag off. then as said above there is two screws on the side of the wheel. then you gan remove the air bag unit and disconnect the wiring. then undo the big nut in the middle holdind the wheel to the collum. you prob wont be able to pull the wheel off so what i find works best is hit each side of the wheel one after another quickly and it will pop off :freddy:

Sigma

Member +
Probably a t25 torx.

Now, when removing the wheel, you really need to be careful, as I ended up with a broken nose when I first did one, 5 or so years ago.

Once the airbag is completely out of the way, and all you have left is the large nut in the centre, undo it all the way off, and then at that point screw it back on one full turn.

The reason behind this, is that steering wheels come off so rarely, that they are almost always stuck to the steering colomb.

If you remove the nut completely, and then pull and tug at the steering wheel, you'll need that much force to pull it off, that when it does release, it'll end up doing to you, what it did it me. Breaking your nose!

If you leave the nut on a turn, it wont fly off and sock you one in the face.

:D

Jay

Admin
Just a small precaution or two about the airbag itself.

Because these things are ignited by a small electrical charge you should earth yourself before handling one. The static electricity on your body can set one off in the wrong circumstances.

Easiest way to do this is to touch a central heating radiator.

Do not expose the airbag to any physical trauma either. When they go off they can do serious damage.

Handle with care.

Ive also done this, didnt break my nose becuase it was half off but its quite a shock seeing the steering wheel heading towards you at quite a pace!.. LoL and no it hasent been a year, i havent managed to get it off for about.. 5 months! :p