Replacing rims, and suspension

SketS47

Goodday Gents,

Rims: Are all lightweight steel/aluminium rims good enough for track racing, or are rims for that subject in any form or shape special? I've looked at a few websites who sell rims but I could not make this out. Hope someone can give me a short answer on this one.

Suspension: I want to get me some suspension that I can modify in height for daily use and sometimes track use. I asked a store here and they told me to get the following;
http://www.showoffimports.nl/product.php?productid=35580

The price definitely scares me, but it basicly does everything right? Or do I automaticly need to replace a whole lot more to make this work?

And also important are there other (cheaper)options for the glanza that you guys know off? Love to hear some input about this!

weeJohn

Lifer
Plenty of forged alloy rims available for EP`s, that is your best bet for good handling and durability. There are cheaper models of suspension but you really get what you pay for in this department. Meister R is a trader on here and worth speaking to, they are very good to deal with.

If prices scare you then consider second hand parts, the for sale section has good stuff coming up but the really good stuff goes quick so keep checking, plenty of information about what people have tried in the technical sections, take a bit of time to read through them, best info you can get is peoples experience!

dark_knight

Member +
i guess it also depends on what your target/goal is. options are always determined by what your goals are.. otherwise you just get more confused.. :)

SketS47

Ok, so I'm a little bit further down the road and am now wondering the following;

1. I will not go for big break kits as these are simply to expensive and useless as I will not see trackdays every weekend. So I want to upgrade the brakes with spending around EUR 800,- max for the front and back.

A. Blank or Slotted break discs, what to pick? I am unable to find any good data why slotted are better (apart from the looks). Any advice? And with 15" rims whats the max size of these things that can fit? (PS is it good to have smaller discs etc in the back?)
B. Brake pads, I understand that sintered or semi-metals are the best for 'aggressive use'. Is the yellow-stuff from EBC a good bet? Or is there a better sintered pad?
C. The brake calliper, what size nr of pistons should I pick? And any brands you recommend?
D. And yes I will then also change to iron woven breaklines. (or however you call those in English)

2. Instead of a complete coilover kit as stated above, is it possible to buy everything seperate for less money and get the same result?

3. About rims, one thing I do not understand what is a good ET for the glanza? Between 35 and 40? And does that mean thatwhen its less the rim falls inside the body? And more positve it fall further out?

4. And last question, I was thinking abotu buying Trazano SV308 tires. They cost around EUR 50 a tire, considering I want to stay around that price range (max EUR 75,- a tire) is there something better? All I found on forums here were all tires above EUR 100,- a piece... :-(

PS: I'm thinking about getting Sparco's Drift Bronze rims, is sparco even a good brand? I'm pretty clueless, so if any advise or comment please give it!

weeJohn

Lifer
You can go to twin pot calipers from other Toyota models to improve braking at the front in your budget, look up the options in the tech sections. Pads and disc do not offer a huge selection but there are green stuff available and also Mintex which are recommended on here. Braided brake lines are a no brainer when uprating the rest, get them first then change them and the fluid when fitting the brake upgrade.

You may as well throw all the money you are about to spend on suspension in the fire if you buy tires at Eur 50. That is the cars contact area with the road, if they are poor, then it wont matter what you have on the car to improve suspension.

Rev

Member +
Goodday Gents,

Rims: Are all lightweight steel/aluminium rims good enough for track racing, or are rims for that subject in any form or shape special?

Rims will have the load rating stamped on them. Some alloys are much stronger for the lightness Enkei have a process for this. They licenced their MAT process to a few companies and there are some cheap copies out there that have almost the same lightness and strength. The thing is they say they are for off road use only. Meaning they are not for normal roads, I guess the shear stress of pot holes can be greater than the shear stress of racing . That being said I would go for the stronger alloy versions for that reason.

Shape wise you want to go for less metal at the outer rim this is why some rim shapes step down a lot so the metal that passes under the tyre is closer to the hub. This applies for the spokes shape as well.
There are some tyres toyos I think, that lesson the tyre weight for a similar reason.

The decision about what tyre width effects weight a lot .Do you want to run 205 and 195 that would be a 15x7" rim so light weight rim is essential . If you want 195 you can have a 6.5" rim this may be lighter without paying more. Offset also effects rim weight .

SketS47

Thank you gents for the advise :) so for 195 a 15x6,5 or 7 is advised? Any big difference? Like does the tire come off easily on a 6,5? Or something I have not thought of.

And back to the tires, I have decided to buy those for the road and get a set of R888 (or something, its from toyo) for the circuit use. Is the latter a good choice for that? (I know 100% slicks are better but they cost like 250+ a piece... Im not a millionaire!)