Replica/Copy external wastegates

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Hi all,

I thought I'd just post this in the chill out forum as its not really a tech question regarding copy external wastegates.

I'm looking at buying an external wastegate and I keep seeing copy/replica Tial wastegates and other cheaper brands. My question is - are these worth looking into or just a waste of money?

The replica market has certianly changed over the years and just wondering if its worth buying a cheaper brand? or does it defeat the purpose of changing to an external gate?

I think I know the answers (you get what you pay for) but just checking to see if anyone else is using them?

Cheers all

Mark

Skalabala

Member +
Its not easy to say bud. Some replicas are great quality.
Usually I would buy the cheap crap(turbos etc) and then strip and inspect fine tune make it better where I can and reassemble :)

triple j

Member +
I got a tial rep wastegate (i sold my real one lol), the valve did not seal properly so i brought i to my mate in his machine shop, it turned out the valve guide was off centre bad so we whacked it out machined a new one out poped it in with some heat then put the hole lot in the lathe and drilled the new guide out centre, never had a problem since

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Thanks guys,

Just bought it :)

It comes with 12months warranty, so if its naff, Ill just change it OR refund depending on how bad it is (if it is bad lol)

Mark

goldenvtr

Member +
my first one lasted about 10k before the diagphram blew,but im still using one and also have one in my other cars too, cant compain, hols 2 bar boost on my GT and see regular track use in my other car too

5e colin

Member +
i bought a replica of phil and it seems to work great to my knolidge steady boost so there not al bad

wickedep

Trader
wouldnt bother. have used many over the years. most will hold up ok for low boost. but when you start going up in boost..thats when they dont perform. same for fake blow off valves.

Skalabala

Member +
What about using a second hand OEM one? What cars came out with one out of the factory?
This looks cool :)
ATP-VEVO-023_450-1.jpg