Ringland failure on piston no2

nexia201

Member +
Hi guys as i was saying that probably my car was running on the lean side and thats why i got a so good result from the rr session ( 159atw) with the ct9 and 11psi of boost.

Well the car decided to confirm this on thursday as it blew some oil through the breather and started to work pretty rough , so yesterday did a comp test and 1,3,4 were all 11bar but no2 was only 7bar so trouble is in that one.

My questions are could this result from fitting the lsd box and so engine was loading more because of the greater grip and it leaned out that extra bit to do the damage ? or

just because i added a 1 and 1/2 turn on the HKS actuator (which was still boosting 11psi at full chat but was getting the boost earlier and the map i have in the ecu didnt support the boost from such low down revs? or both reasons together ??

My car was set for 7psi initially which i turned up to 11psi when i git the fmic and hks actuator and been running and taking the abbuse for months now with no problems

should i go forged to save on the ringland breaking again or its just a waste to go forged on a ct9? or i should get just 1 piston from toyota and put the engine back together and get it set up on the dyno for 14psi so it wont run lean again?

anyone noticed when doing a power run on the dyno if the breather smokes heavy while doing the run? as mine did when dynoed but no oil came out so i was not concerned ( but im getting a bit concerned about dynoes that they cause serious stress on ringlands on standard pistons)

need answers to see what route I should go :confused:

nexia201

Member +
Ive got no answers for you, but you do abuse it lol :)

yeah mate i know because thats what its meant to be for ( but thursday didnt really abbuse it only managed 2 runs and puff oil on the windscreen F#$@%^&!^%$$#!^&#&!#$&&#$!%#$^%!#&!#$ and had to drive it slowly back to the garage where its been for 3 fucken weeks waiting for a gearbox after the otherone decided to eat the pinion teeth ! Im really getting annoyed with all these problems (some of which Im getting myself in!)

billybob

Untrusted Seller
forged or not if your running same setup you must off been running lean to blow the ringlands forged pistons will do the same thing if running lean whatever you decide get the car mapped good and you should be good to go also if only running ct9 wouldnt bother forgeing:);)

billybob

Untrusted Seller
yeah mate i know because thats what its meant to be for ( but thursday didnt really abbuse it only managed 2 runs and puff oil on the windscreen F#$@%^&!^%$$#!^&#&!#$&&#$!%#$^%!#&!#$ and had to drive it slowly back to the garage where its been for 3 fucken weeks waiting for a gearbox after the otherone decided to eat the pinion teeth ! Im really getting annoyed with all these problems (some of which Im getting myself in!)

yes when these cars go bad everything starts fuckin up in them:mad:

nexia201

Member +
yes when these cars go bad everything starts fuckin up in them:mad:

X2 havent stopped since fitted the engine

might do that get a piston ,hg ,bolts and timing belt from toyota and put it all together and give it a good map with the money saved on the pistons :beer:

billybob

Untrusted Seller
X2 havent stopped since fitted the engine

might do that get a piston ,hg ,bolts and timing belt from toyota and put it all together and give it a good map with the money saved on the pistons :beer:

yes thats the best thing you should be dragging again soon:drive:

munday

Member +
Fitting the LSD box wouldn't have caused it mate, would have no effect on the actual cylinder pressure. Maybe the ecu has quite an agressive timing map and turning the boost up caused detonation? Hope you get it sorted and get back to the strip asap :)

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Hks fcd..turning it leaned it out no matter if the boost wasn't troubled

Forge the engine

what the fuck are you saying??? read the post again!

some people really trow answers from there ass!!

dude think its the heat where having + the car was running lean already but im sure the heat helped the ringlands to fail.

as you know i phoned you today saying my car is heating up! when boosting it the temp goes up really fast! normal driving stays normal. so i said ok... its the thermo on its way out!

but now at 3am (still feels hot but not like the afternoon) gave it loads of abuse with no heating up!

in malta the summer gives big stress to the engines... im still going to change the thermo for a sard low temp one. and really considering heatwraping manifold to avoid more under bonnet temps, change rad ro a full alloy thicker one and raising the bonnet so air goes out more quickly.

id say change that piston to oem one and get it remaped!

nexia201

Member +
Fitting the LSD box wouldn't have caused it mate, would have no effect on the actual cylinder pressure. Maybe the ecu has quite an agressive timing map and turning the boost up caused detonation? Hope you get it sorted and get back to the strip asap :)

I was blaming the lsd as if you load more the engine boost go up a bit faster and tought it might helped lean it out , but it is as you said the ecu had an agressive map and with the little xtra boost the piston must have failed

Jay

Admin
Too much boost and not enough fuel. Grip will have no effect on these elements.

As Sheldon says the mixture can also be affected by ambient temperatures and climate conditions.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Too much boost and not enough fuel. Grip will have no effect on these elements.

As Sheldon says the mixture can also be affected by ambient temperatures and climate conditions.

sure will... we had a temp rise in just a day or two! im not gonna use the car until this small "heatwave" stops.. as its toomuch stress for just a bit of fun :)

Jay

Admin
Speaking of inlet temps, I can't wait for the cold winter nights to come back. Serious difference in performance. :)

nexia201

Member +
what the fuck are you saying??? read the post again!

some people really trow answers from there ass!!

dude think its the heat where having + the car was running lean already but im sure the heat helped the ringlands to fail.

as you know i phoned you today saying my car is heating up! when boosting it the temp goes up really fast! normal driving stays normal. so i said ok... its the thermo on its way out!

but now at 3am (still feels hot but not like the afternoon) gave it loads of abuse with no heating up!

in malta the summer gives big stress to the engines... im still going to change the thermo for a sard low temp one. and really considering heatwraping manifold to avoid more under bonnet temps, change rad ro a full alloy thicker one and raising the bonnet so air goes out more quickly.

id say change that piston to oem one and get it remaped!

guess thats what im gona do if forged pistons would still suffer ringland failure

nexia201

Member +
Speaking of inlet temps, I can't wait for the cold winter nights to come back. Serious difference in performance. :)

its bloody 41deg here i cant stand the heat let alone the engine :p but when mine happened it was at night 22.30 so it wasnt hot at all and i wasnt trashing the car that much in fact only managed 2 runs before this happened

Texx

Super Moderator
My car was set for 7psi initially which i turned up to 11psi when i git the fmic and hks actuator and been running and taking the abbuse for months now with no problems

I dont have afr gauge fitted but car was pulling back with the ebc on (remeber i am running the engine on a stand alone so it will not adjust fuelling if running lean ) so had to take it off ( i will explain more i will open a thread)

What boost pressure has your ECU actually been mapped for? If it's not been mapped when seeing 11psi manifold pressure then I would say that's likely to be your problem. A piston ring land isn't likely to crack straight away, it will likely take a period like 'abuse for months' of a lean mixture and detonation to fatigue the piston casting and eventually crack it. Turning the boost pressure up wont damage the pistons, it's the shock wave caused from detonation that the pistons can't cope with, in this respect forged pistons won't be much better.

If you can get away with just replacing No.2 piston, then it's all good, but don't be surprised if No.2 cylinder wall is damaged and pistons 1, 3 and 4 are also weakened from the abuse they've had.

Once you've had the engine repaired, just get the ECU mapped according to how you want to run it.

I dont have afr gauge fitted

It might be an idea to invest in one, it could save you an engine next time. :)