Ringland failure question ??? confused

nexia201

Member +
From your past expiriance with ringland failure ( i know there were so many :mad: ) does an engine with ringland failure on 1 cylinder no2(which is down to 7 bar from 11 bar ) still be as fast or even faster than when its running normal compression :confused: very :confused:

or is it just the case that the change from the GT box to the glanza lsd box made so much difference that the car down on 1 cylinder is faster than when it was properly running :confused:

plus my car smoke constantly with throttle open altough its not putting much oil out of the breather even when trashed (as it did the first time ) could it be just a sticky ring or something else? but that should still result in a drop of performance due to loss of compression :confused:

want your opinions on this please

thank you

Mike D EP82

Member +
i would say it should drop in performance. my head gasket blew last night between cylinders 2 and 3 and this is causing it to misfire due to the lack of compression.

nexia201

Member +
i would say it should drop in performance. my head gasket blew last night between cylinders 2 and 3 and this is causing it to misfire due to the lack of compression.

but i guess hg failure would lead to a greater drop in compression than a ringland crack plus you get engine over heating problems so you cant really trash the car

Gtstu

Member +
i think a lack in performance as the boost pressure will go past the piston and rings due to the damages components and just compress the crank case causing oil out of the breather.

ramses974

Member +
From your past expiriance with ringland failure ( i know there were so many :mad: ) does an engine with ringland failure on 1 cylinder no2(which is down to 7 bar from 11 bar ) still be as fast or even faster than when its running normal compression :confused: very :confused:

or is it just the case that the change from the GT box to the glanza lsd box made so much difference that the car down on 1 cylinder is faster than when it was properly running :confused:

plus my car smoke constantly with throttle open altough its not putting much oil out of the breather even when trashed (as it did the first time ) could it be just a sticky ring or something else? but that should still result in a drop of performance due to loss of compression :confused:

want your opinions on this please

thank you

i had this problem last month after replacing the stock HG by a MEtal headgasket bought oin ebay...this HG was very very bad and i have a lack of compression at 1.2 bar my car was very bad it as if i was at 0.4bar...oil and smoke went out the breather too...ring cracked....
i am with stock HG now and change my ring ..all is ok :shoot::shoot:

nexia201

Member +
i think a lack in performance as the boost pressure will go past the piston and rings due to the damages components and just compress the crank case causing oil out of the breather.

but as you can see from new 1/4 mile vids performance doesnt seem to be down on the road it feels a bit slugish until on boost then it fly

nexia201

Member +
i havent seen your vids but if the performance is still ok on the 1/4 then i wouldnt worry lol

thats what i said yesterday im not going to open it up if its going this well. But last we dide comp test i go 3 cyl @ 11 bar and 1 was just 7bar plus it had blew oil on the windscreen as i have a lifted bonnet now im running a catch bottle for the oil but its more the smoke thats a problem as its killing us in the car (only when i go fast )

here is a link to the vids
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51625

nexia201

Member +
vids look good . well i would start saving now then when its gets worse you can open it up.

thanks stu parts are waiting to be collected from toyota :) 4 pistons + rings , hg + H bolts + timing belt

could ringland damage make damage in the bore?

Gtstu

Member +
it could do some damage mine was bad but i went forged so needed a rebore. but you wont no till you strip it.you can get oversize pistons from toyota iv heard.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
id just change them. i wont risk damageing the bore. imagine if you find the bore scored... what a fuckup! youd need a new block!

kirky1

Fresh Recruit
my rings are fucked also, oil and smoke pissing out everywhere so ive turned the boost right down, only reving to about 3000. still choking on fumes when i drive it tho and so does everyone else i drive past in town lol.

nexia201

Member +
my rings are fucked also, oil and smoke pissing out everywhere so ive turned the boost right down, only reving to about 3000. still choking on fumes when i drive it tho and so does everyone else i drive past in town lol.

mine doesdnt smoke that bad but the little it smoke it kills you lol plus i found half a litre of oil in the bottle i put in (must have been the trashing at the 1/4 mile yesterday , im still running 11psi and still revving to 7,000rpm lol

Texx

Super Moderator
thanks stu parts are waiting to be collected from toyota :) 4 pistons + rings , hg + H bolts + timing belt

could ringland damage make damage in the bore?

If you keep driving it like it is, it's only going to get worse. The worse it gets the more likely it will damage the cylinder wall, if it hasn't already. If you end up having to re-bore the block the 4 pistons and rings you've just bought will be of no use to you.

Mike D EP82

Member +
got my head off and the gasket is split between 2 and 3 as suspected. mine had a miss and it then cleared itself higher up the rev range so perfomance was shit until a little higher up. no smoke or oil being pushed out. it didnt overheat as it wasnt a water jacket that split just between the cylinders allowiing the compression to seap past. obviously higher up the rev range it must have gathered enough between the two to make it run smoothly.