rough idle, running rich

rid1ridz14

Member +
hey guys, I've been looking on here at different threads but could not find an exact solution, so I'll post my issue in detail and hopefully someone can help please.

recently I changed my old crusty injectors to new ( flow tested and checked etc) oem ones, since then car is idling very rough and running rich. I can smelll excessive amount of fuel from exhaust. idling high, then rpms goes up and down, then high constant again, sometimes it's low it is just confusing.
Reason why I changed to new injectors is before, it was also running rich and idling funky, but it was very minimal. And figured out why not change them since considering they were never changed,
-ecu was reset, unplugged battery for about 25 minutes, then plugged back. Still the same

so what I understand is that the car is not getting enough air, well the engine

please help, much appreciated

run a diagnostic
check for vacuum leaks on all hoses, (throttle body, BOV, power steering, canisters, VSVs, etc)
check stock fpr hose connection
check TPS and wiring connections
check MAP sensor and wiring/hose connections
check your car's main grounding wires
check O2 sensor and connection

rid1ridz14

Member +
Gonna the diagnostic through the port and see if I get anything specific tonight..
Vacuum hose to power steering, don’t have that and previous owner blocked it off with a bolt, I’ll find a connection and recirculate it
Soapy water should do the trick to find vacuum leaks right

car has such shit idle rn

i guess the car was running with multiple issues (fuel/air) but now since injectors are flowing good
The air problem is rising lol
Will keep you updated guys thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
The sensor is probably ok, but you may have a small vacuum leak. It doesn't take much for it to mess up the map signal to the sensor and make it run bad

these are very old cars now, so the hoses in many are past their due date...it may be wise to buy various size silicone/rubber hoses (your preference) and replace them in time anyways...small leaks are hard to find sometimes...try moving some of the hoses by hand while testing them with the soapy water

you can take off the idle control valve and spray it out, it can get sludgy on the inside,, also check the oring on it

PS...spray around the idle screw too (remove the little rubber cap)...see if any leaks there

rid1ridz14

Member +
Cleaned the idle air control valve last month with carb cleaner, followed the step to step guide from here..

will definitely check for leaks
I’m sure as you said that could be the issue as it’s old and crusty

strange that only after changing the injectors that it started happening, old injectors and leaks when balancing each other before lol I suppose
Now the new ones are dominating the leaks and all sort of air issues

are the injectors properly seated in the fuel rail?...did you use new orings and rubbers to install them? can you smell any gas around that area?
just making sure there are no leaks....and the stock rrfpr has that vacuum hose connected, so need to make sure it was not broken when you installed the new injectors

rid1ridz14

Member +
Yes I placed them properly then bolted the rail, I can send some close up pics
Yes, new o rings were installed
No I don’t smell gas in the engine bay so far, just at the back of the car
Will the the stock fpr hoses

rid1ridz14

Member +
No not that I’m aware sadly
But I was in the garage tonight
Bridged the ports in the diagnostic port, no code
Engine was idling, unplugged iacv, I could hear a change in idle, plugged it back in
Unplugged map sensor, same change in idle but more noticeable and ecu threw code 31
Plugged it back in, reset the ecu, code gone, so I guess that isn’t an issue
Sprayed soapy water on the vacuum hoses, didn’t really help because couldn’t see bubbles lol, I think because it’s inhaling not blowing..
But I found a hole/crack in the hose from throttle body to map sensor.
And I could feel some ‘breeze’ near the iacv, near the hose, but couldn’t locate it
That’s the test i ran for today

rid1ridz14

Member +
That will be your main issue. Looks like you need to replace some of your hoses.
Start with the map sensor one and work from there.
Will probably run fine just changing that one tbh
is the filter (round thing) in the oem hose from throttle body to map needed? also what's the hose dimension? 4mm?

rid1ridz14

Member +
Plenty of guides on how to make a smoker on YouTube Buddy, or get a local Subaru owner to plug there vape pen into it :) lol
Yes will into that later
Lol that there’s a cute chick in the neighborhood who drives a gc8 hatch lol, might borrow her vape