rounded mani nuts

jonny-boi32

Member +
well guys ive had a bit of shit luck, went to take my ct9 mani and turbo off to replace them and i got all the "mani to head" nuts off, apart from the one behind the turbo, i got one of the "mani to turbo" nuts off, all the rest just rounded. i know i didnt over tighten them, the "mani to turbo" nuts were only tightened with a spanner. they wont budge a fuking bit. ive rotated the turbo down and removed the powersteering pump but cant get the bastard at all. i bought a set of nut splitters today but it wont stay on, just keeps working itself off. anyone have any tips or idea how to get the fuker of??

Silent_night88

Fresh Recruit
i would try to get a drill bit that is about the same saze as the bolt...not the head...and drill to where the head and bolt meet then take a flathead and a hammer and knock the tops off...then take the turbo off and grab the studs with a pair of locking pliers and loosen them up from there....but that is if you dont care about the bolts haha

jonny-boi32

Member +
i would try to get a drill bit that is about the same saze as the bolt...not the head...and drill to where the head and bolt meet then take a flathead and a hammer and knock the tops off...then take the turbo off and grab the studs with a pair of locking pliers and loosen them up from there....but that is if you dont care about the bolts haha

its a stud from the block with a nut on it. they arent bolts, so cant do that.

STARLET N/A

Member +
remember if you do this again, never try to undo the nuts if the engine if even slightly warm,

engine must be stone cold for you to remove the nuts, because the metal goes soft when warm, hence why they will round off.

jonny-boi32

Member +
remember if you do this again, never try to undo the nuts if the engine if even slightly warm,

engine must be stone cold for you to remove the nuts, because the metal goes soft when warm, hence why they will round off.

it sat for bout an hour before i touched itbut must still have been that bit too warm.

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
if u got a nut splitter u need to put it on the nut and keep tightening it till it splits the nut in two and will come off easy u dont use it to undue the nut jus the cut it in half

jonny-boi32

Member +
if u got a nut splitter u need to put it on the nut and keep tightening it till it splits the nut in two and will come off easy u dont use it to undue the nut jus the cut it in half

Obviously, lol, because the nut is vertical, when I tighten the splitter it keeps pulling it self of the nut, I've tried using I bar to keep it on with leverage but still twists itself off.

dont no if stupid idea but if you have welder could weld another nut onto the rounded ones

dark_knight

Member +
welding option

i'd go with the welding-another-nut-on-the-rounded-one to get more leverage option. you are working with some tight tolerances though given the location of the nut. be very careful when welding though so that you don't get the weld beads on the bolt part of the nut-&-bolt setup coz then you'll have double-trouble. i'd hate to be you right now.. :(

Rev

Member +
I used a tight fitting rachet spanner with partial burring but it sounds like you are beyond that. My silly suggestion is use an old spanner and drill through the spanner and nut and insert a pin in a position you can make it turn enough to loosen it , drill out the pin and go from there.

weeJohn

Lifer
If they are really rounded off and there is no hope of getting any edge held with a spanner then you really need something that is for turning a pipe. Mole or vice grips will do it if they have a rounded tooth area, flat ones will probably just slip off. No easy way to do this, but if all else fails remember the head studs are replaceable so you can cut the whole nut and stud off with whatever you can get in there and then replace the cut stud after.

dark_knight

Member +
word of caution

a word of caution if you have to go down the cut-the-studs-off route, leave some bit of the stud so that you will still be able to get some leverage on it. if you cut too close to the block, you may not be able to easily get the remnants off..

i'd really still try a pipe-wrench (used by plumbers mostly) to try get to the nut, problem is, you may not be able to get the wrench to the nut head coz of space constraints. all the best mate, tell us how this goes.

dark_knight

Member +
@cheshireglanza: that's an idea too.. brilliant! i'm sure the lad has more than enough options to try out and he'll be successful in one of them. we'll wait to read on if he made it.. :)