Running rich, tried everything, please read!

munday

Member +
Hi guys, having a bit of trouble with my V...

Changed the gearbox on Tuesday (less thank 3 hours thank you very much :p) and since then its been running rich.

Earths are back on the gearbox securely (going to clean them up again anyway tomorrow)

Emissions are reading around 1 on the CO level, cant remember the HC reading.

The lambda isnt switching when on steady state throttle openings, but still gives readings. Had a similar problem before and it turned out to be a split vac hose to the MAP sensor, all vac hoses are silicone now, cant see any leaks, hear any leaks, and sprayed brake cleaner around and idle stayed the same...so no vac leaks.

Unplugged MAP sensor and it made it run like crap.

Changed the lambda as it seemed to be lazy as it was doing its thing, no change.

Did a diagnostics check AND used a code reader which both showed no codes.

So...Would coolant temp sensor being faulty throw up a fault code? And does anybody know the voltage outputs of the CTS? I'm assuming 0-5v but does anybody know which end of the scale hot/cold should be?

Also same questions again for the Air Inlet Temp sensor

Any new ideas? Thanks peeps

:drive:

scot-ish

Member +
coolant temp sensor generally are 5v cold, down to 0.5 being hot, thats what its been on my last few cars

you got any air locks in the coolant system??

munday

Member +
coolant temp sensor generally are 5v cold, down to 0.5 being hot, thats what its been on my last few cars

you got any air locks in the coolant system??

Cheers buddy

Cooling system hasnt been touched for ages, and it was running just right before :)

scot-ish

Member +
dont be shy to hit the rep button lol,

cant see what else you would have disturbed other than the earths, give them a good clean up and see how you get on

munday

Member +
check some plugs dude... my TPS seems to fuck aroun whent i touch the wires of the tps...

Had most plugs off, sprayed them with brake cleaner followed by contact cleaner, not done a couple though so i shall try that ;)

Any more ideas/replys?

munday

Member +
Right... At a manifold vacuum pressure of below -0.5 bar its overfuelling, anything above that and into the positive pressures it fuels as normal...which is leading me to believe it could be a problem with my map sensor. What are other peoples views on this?

Also, i have a HKS 3 bar MAP sensor sitting here, would it work along with the standard ecu, or would it give wrong readings considering its still 0-5v but calibrated for 3 bar absolute?

Any help appreciated :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
if its the same voltage range but a larger span then no it wont work the same. try a new map sensor mate.

what fpr are you using? if its an aftermakret one, is it working correctly?

munday

Member +
if its the same voltage range but a larger span then no it wont work the same. try a new map sensor mate.

what fpr are you using? if its an aftermakret one, is it working correctly?

Thats what i was thinking but wanted to check :)

Using a SARD rrfpr at the moment, i would have thought if it was playing up it would be over the whole range of vacuum/boost.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Thats what i was thinking but wanted to check :)

Using a SARD rrfpr at the moment, i would have thought if it was playing up it would be over the whole range of vacuum/boost.

could be, but its only a diaphragm, could be defective in some way causing a problem.

you could try just sticking the stock one on for test purposes. would eliminate the problem anyway

munday

Member +
could be, but its only a diaphragm, could be defective in some way causing a problem.

you could try just sticking the stock one on for test purposes. would eliminate the problem anyway

I'm literally holding a standard fuel rail with fpr in my hand right now, so i guess its worth a try :p

Thanks dude! :cool:

dac69er

Super Moderator
no worries mate. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and just try everything. can be the most random things too. plus sometimes new items can be buggered before they are even used.

let us know how you get on

weeJohn

Lifer
Right... At a manifold vacuum pressure of below -0.5 bar its overfuelling, anything above that and into the positive pressures it fuels as normal...which is leading me to believe it could be a problem with my map sensor. What are other peoples views on this?

Also, i have a HKS 3 bar MAP sensor sitting here, would it work along with the standard ecu, or would it give wrong readings considering its still 0-5v but calibrated for 3 bar absolute?

Any help appreciated :)

At this low manifold pressure reading I would guess that you are talking about the engine being at idle with the throttle closed?

If its overfuelling then, it could be because the throttle position sensor is not reading closed, so the ecu is overfuelling as it doesnt know not to. Once you crack it open, the tps reads as it should so the ecu fuels normally.

Easy to give it a knock when you are in there taking off speedo and shifter cables and shit.

Think the link for setting it has pictures again.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
At this low manifold pressure reading I would guess that you are talking about the engine being at idle with the throttle closed?

If its overfuelling then, it could be because the throttle position sensor is not reading closed, so the ecu is overfuelling as it doesnt know not to. Once you crack it open, the tps reads as it should so the ecu fuels normally.

Easy to give it a knock when you are in there taking off speedo and shifter cables and shit.

yes it has :) still on my account so should be all good.

munday

Member +

Totally missed this post for some reason! Thanks for the advice mate, i'll keep this thread updated with how it goes

Repped :)

munday

Member +
Right then... Checked TPS and it was a tiny bit out...so i decided to adjust anyway to make sure. Made no difference to the fuelling.

So i disconnect the Coolant temp sensor to see if it overfuells more since it will be defaulting to cold settings, and it made no difference again apart from bring on the engine managment light, suggesting to me that its the cts at fault?

(got a price from toyota for £55.24 +VAT! Ouch :( )

dac69er

Super Moderator
you can get that coolant temp sensor cheaper than that. think motor factors do them. also check ebay.

measure the resistace of the sensor when cold and when hot and post up your results. that will tell use whether it is the sensor or not!