safety?

tango

Fresh Recruit
forgive me for putting this in this section, i just wasn't sure where else to put it. here is my problem, i know none of us like the idea of being in an accident, but its a reality of being on the roads these days, so how well do the ep82 an 91 fair in a crash test/accident?

gv1.3

Admin
not particularly well my friend. These cars were built before modern safety techniques were used so they are pretty basic.

If you search you will find a recent thread from a member that was in an accident and the whole front of the car is gone.

Another notable incident involved a member driving out of a multistory carpark and hitting a barrier nearly turning his car into a convertible.

stuart

Member +
They come off real bad at any speed, remember the post about the guy who hit a post/bar/parking barrier thing at no more than 10mph?? bad news :(

Little tin cans at the end of the day! safety rating of 0 lol

CMR

Member +
Glanza fairs better than the GT in crashes i imagine, but i still wouldnt want to crash in the glanza!

peen

Lifer
Exhibit 1: http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8757

Exhibit 2: http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=200163&postcount=55

So nope they don't hold up well. Get a roll cage and wear a helmet. :p

not particularly well my friend. These cars were built before modern safety techniques were used so they are pretty basic.

If you search you will find a recent thread from a member that was in an accident and the whole front of the car is gone.

Another notable incident involved a member driving out of a multistory carpark and hitting a barrier nearly turning his car into a convertible.

tango

Fresh Recruit
hmmm, was hoping for a more positive response than that! i'd probably be alot safer in my ae111 corolla so! on the bright side, they are safer than a motorbike (or a punto :p) anyone with praise for the glanza? your giving my girlfriend ammo! :shoot:

Big_Daddy

Member +
hmmm, was hoping for a more positive response than that! i'd probably be alot safer in my ae111 corolla so! on the bright side, they are safer than a motorbike (or a punto :p) anyone with praise for the glanza? your giving my girlfriend ammo! :shoot:

Asume the glanza are strong, my cuz just been rear ended in starlet SR, by a corrola (30mph impact) , SR standstill. The sr did absoarb it, the rear quarter crushed abith though, but it was still drive able.

Jay

Admin
For the run of the mill light-frontals and moderate collisions the EP82 holds up okay. The cabin deformation isn't heavy and it's usually the chassis legs that take the force.

The two examples above are head on collision (heavy impact) and a carpark barrier (impact above the chassis).

The EP91 has extra strengthening and bracing to aid the performance and protection of the body shell. If I was planning to crash one I'd prefer it to be a Glanza TBH.

For comparisons sake please refer to other models of the same era (GT 1989-1995 and Glanza 1996-1999). Things have progressed somewhat in recent years.

tango

Fresh Recruit
For the run of the mill light-frontals and moderate collisions the EP82 holds up okay. The cabin deformation isn't heavy and it's usually the chassis legs that take the force.

The two examples above are head on collision (heavy impact) and a carpark barrier (impact above the chassis).

The EP91 has extra strengthening and bracing to aid the performance and protection of the body shell. If I was planning to crash one I'd prefer it to be a Glanza TBH.

For comparisons sake please refer to other models of the same era (GT 1989-1995 and Glanza 1996-1999). Things have progressed somewhat in recent years.

thanks jay, that is the kind of information i was looking for. obviously they wont be as strong as a brand new avensis or similar, but lets say compared to a mk 5 fiesta (96-01) or a corsa b (similar years to glanza) as good as or better?

CMR

Member +
A fiesta holds up well in a crash as i've seen quite a few after rolls/hitting ditches etc surviving decently, corsa B I imagine isnt too bad but not 100% sure.
However when you compare to 'lighter' cars like the clios, 106 and saxo's etc I would say a GT is safer than those.

tango

Fresh Recruit
as i thought, 90's toyotas in general are reasonable, mightn't get one as an everyday car, but would definately make an excellent toy, for weekends and mondello. sorry about all the negativity, have been in a couple of crashes over the years, crash protection becomes more important as you get sense (older)!!!

Stulet-GTT

Member +
have been in a couple of crashes over the years, crash protection becomes more important as you get sense (older)!!!

Been in a few myself, even broke my neck..:eek:
But when buying a car crash protection is one of the last things on my mind...:haha:

Nwimie

Member +
I dont ever wanna have a high speed crash in my glanza :( its scares me really want a roll cage but money is the issue + its my everyday car lol.

Levin-AE111

Member +
Trust me, nothing is as bad as smashing a pug 106 up which i did the other week, wasnt too bad but they crumple like a little tin can. It would have been worse for us if i hadnt had bucket seats and harnesses as the standard seats would snap i think, their shite! The starlet feels alot stronger and safer car than the pug did for sure!

I had a Levin AE111 and it felt pretty safe, wouldnt have said it felt any different to the starlet though.

Deffinatley putting a roll cage in the GT now, mainly incase it goes tits up and my gf's in the car with me at the time, at least she'll be safe and sound.

Last edited:

tango

Fresh Recruit
thanks for the replies guys, i wouldn't want a high speed crash in any car, anyway, good suspension set up and good brakes and you've some chance of avoiding trouble!!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
or do what i do and leave it in the garage most of the time ;)

in all honesty though. they will probably fair just as well, if not better than other hatchbacks of the time and will be a darn site better than my mates uno turbo in an accident. we call it the kit kat wrapper.