Searious amount of oil from breather filter

TomS

Lifer
Serious amount of oil from breather filter

The car has had an unusually low idle for the last month about 450rpm i adjusted the idle control screw so it ran at 900 but after a while it reverted back to 450 i'm not sure if this is related to the problem but it could be.

So i checked under the bonnet yesterday after a 4 hour drive and saw that about half a litre of oil had come through the breather filter and sprayed all over the engine bay. There is no smoke from the exhaust and no noticable loss in power but there is smoke coming from the dipstick. I was thinking it could be a blocked pcv as it has never been changed or maintained for 160k km or else piston ring trouble.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
Do a compression test and you can test the pcv valve by removing it and blowing through it, you should only be able to feel air pass through it one way.

Texx

Super Moderator
There's a 99.9% chance if you try to remove the PCV valve the grommet will fall apart, so if your going to attempt it I'd suggest you get hold of a new grommet first. The PCV valve will have to be stuck open to cause oil to be forced out of the breather port, the easier way to check it is to remove the pipe connecting the PCV valve to the inlet manifold and block the port off at the manifold side. If no more oil is found coming from the breather then you'll need to replace the PCV valve and grommet.

As Adam suggested, a compression test would be the next step if blocking off the PCV valve doesn't cure the problem.

TomS

Lifer
I removed the pipe connecting the pcv valve and blocked it at the inlet manifold but there's still oil coming out the breather, seems to be happening when under load, starting to think it may be rings, my dad thinks it could be a cracked block or head gasket related