So im bored of my GT again - what turbo for 350-400... specs inside

goldenvtr

Member +
im bored of my GT again and as ive decided to go stand alone im going for another new setup.

currenty it has

forged 5e 7.5.1 CR
td05h 16g at 22psi
emanage ultimate
and all the other complementing mods

now ive just bought/made
3" turbo back exhaust ( 2.5 previously)
Link G3 stand alone ECU
various other parts to tidy and smarten up

and im not sure what turbo to get, i dont really want any more lag but i am mostly using my GT for track use (and weekends) as i now have a paseo for a daily driver

im not really sure on its current power but a estimated guess puts it at 290-330, i have ran the turbo upto 25psi but i dont feel any benafit.

also im on stock headbolts and i get mild oil leak near the "5e" stamp on the head when i boost anything over 22psi, so i think i might need some ARP's too.

now ive had many setups on the GT but i feel this will be the last before i purly just use it for enjoyment so i want to smarted it all up....

so any advice on turbos to go for (would have to be td05/vf ihi series as im not changing manifold etc.

PS i have a td06 20g(ebay special) which wouldnt fit my manifold due to big snail so ive put that on my mx5 (LOL) but my engines not finished yet so i dont know how good/bad these Chinese turbos are yet, any input on these is also appriciated :)

stockrod

Fresh Recruit
347hp using a stock head not tempting? Btw if you think many years back you may remember me or my username. Silver Glanza. Back in another Glanza now that I'm building an engine for. Anyhow back on topic.

Ted

Member +
Hey mate. One of the new Subaru billet wheel hybrids flow 400. 5e might push one ok. Guess theres not too many slow corners on your chosen track if you want even more lag?

goldenvtr

Member +
347hp using a stock head not tempting? Btw if you think many years back you may remember me or my username. Silver Glanza. Back in another Glanza now that I'm building an engine for. Anyhow back on topic.

yes Dave i remember you, back in a hatchback lol what happend to the 200sx in the end??
yea my head is stock, it looked too good condition and tolarances all good so i didnt mess about with it.

Hey mate. One of the new Subaru billet wheel hybrids flow 400. 5e might push one ok. Guess theres not too many slow corners on your chosen track if you want even more lag?
just been looking at andy forests 18 and 20g's but there quite pricey. donnington park was amazing with the current setup, i mostly be doing fast tracks but obviasly less lag the better.

as a comparison my current setup hits 22psi at just under 4100rpm. starts boosting very hard from 3k rev limit is at 7100 for now too,

vf34/35 maybe an option,,,,but will probably net you out around the td05 bhp/powerwise
your set up seems to spool pretty well....so i'm not even sure any of those will spool up any faster, but should match the td05 spool wise (if not slightly better due to newer design).....but maybe on gear changes they may get back into the power band quicker with a bit more top end as well as both have slightly bigger exhaust sides

they also seem to max out around 1.5/1.6bar based on the subaru sites...right in your current range

AdamB

Member +
I doubt you'll find anything with more power and less lag than the setup already, as above, could try a vf35. Failing that just put some nitrous on it lol.
I would say gt28/gt30 but since you don't want to change setup that rules that out.
Or increase the compression ratio of the engine, although I'm sure you won't want to be rebuilding it either.

goldenvtr

Member +
i suppose i could swap to a garret setup as i havnt built the downpipe yet and adaptor its easy enough to weld 2 diffent flanges together for a turbo swap ( i made one on my mazda before anyway) but for the price of the garret turbos i might aswell try a td05 18 or 20g.

my current setup is VERY good, but as all tuners know we want more lol. with the likes of the vf34/35 it looks like there dead comparable to the 16g so not much point, i loved my VF28 setup untill it blew but the td05 has much more topend.

i do have a 2mm head gasket so i suppose i could lower the CR when i fit new headbolts with a smaller gasket... i was really just wondering if there are more efficient turbos as i keep seeing quotes on different billet wheels etc.

for those that havnt seen here is how my car is on track at 18psi

after a lap of warming up it gets very interesting :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq68dgo_I7c

AdamB

Member +
In terms of efficiency I don't think you'll beat the likes of Garrett and Precision turbo's with their billet wheels and patented designs. I would change a gasket down to 1.2mm, depending on your piston-head clearence. You should be able to net a few more peak torques with the higher ratio. Failing that your probably going to have to look into better cams to help breathing at the top end.

goldenvtr

Member +
the head wasnt skimmed when i built me 5e so clearance should be have room to play. i was on the lookout for 5efhe cam but was never that botherd. as ive always though yamaha did a good job with the head hence i left it alone.... obviasly there always room form improvment.
looks like ill do some more scouting for a garret and see what i can get for the ££ if not might just stick as is, the exhaust and stand alone upgrade should take me close to 350 :)

wickedep

Trader
hey mate,
like someone already mentioned its going to be very hard if not impossible to get close to 350- 400hp without any increase in lag. nitrous is one option..maybe your only option if you dont want the extra lag. if you are willing to consider a garrett (even a billet version)..then i would guarantee our Godzilla series will out spool and out perform the garrets in every way. it has a t3 flange..so would fit your current set up with a simple adapter plate.

but first i would say get your car on the rollers with the standalone and have some idea of the current power. if you're not too far off from your goal..then you maybe able to reach your targer with your current set up but with some additional mods like head work/inlet manifold etc. good luck

goldenvtr

Member +
Hey Sacha, think ill send you a pm...

Ive got my old exhaust off now and just waiting on a couple of bends to start my new exhuast,but ive had a look at my td05 16g and there quite a bit og in/out play so im thinking i may aswell get a new turbo whilst im splashing some more money at the car :( im not a fan of NOS - too fast and furious style for me. if i get any headwork done thatll be at a much later date. but inlet manifold is a maybe, just they cost a bomb! :p

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Why not buy a more powerful car with a base BHP which is currently higher than what you have now? Your crave for bhp wont stop at your next Glanza mod for sure, and the modding can only go so far! :) I dont mean this in a bad way either, but maybe your crave for power will be found in a 6cyl or maybe a v8? ;)

omikron

Member +
Why not buy a more powerful car with a base BHP which is currently higher than what you have now? Your crave for bhp wont stop at your next Glanza mod for sure, and the modding can only go so far! :) I dont mean this in a bad way either, but maybe your crave for power will be found in a 6cyl or maybe a v8? ;)

how much bhp would he need in one of those platforms though to get the same rush?

goldenvtr

Member +
well ive had a look around for different turbos, i think im going to stick to a stock td05 16g for now (becasue its cheap) and see how much it makes, otherwise the scoobu clinic seems to have a good prices turbo for up to 400 :)

i already have another "fast'ish" car in the form of a 269bhp eunos roadster which will see be over 300 too when ive finished the bottom end of ;)

im not really ready to move onto a bigass old mans car yet lol, i decided that when i bought my paseo for a daily driver over a lexus haha plus as just said it cost ALOT more and alot more power is needed to make power to weight ratio higher in a bigger car.

it would be a shame to ruin such a good setup for a bit more power, so i will see how it goes, keep an eye out for my figuers within the next 2 months :)

George611

Member +
Jus get anti lag then you dont need to worry toooo much about a tiny bit more lag (yes i know its easier said than done and yes i know people are going to say "it destroys engines" but fuck it you only live once lol