some questions on our engines please to megasquirt our engine

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
so i made an enquiry to a company to see if they can supply me with a megasquirt kit. and they replied to me asking some questiopns on our engine. im sure i can get the answers from here... can you please read this and see if you can answer me?? JAY where are you? :p

1. What year/make/model/engine/tranny? (Pretend you're at the parts store, ordering a starter.) If this isn't the original engine/electronics let me know that too.

Toyota Starlet Glanza V 1996 – 4e-fte

2. Are you looking to control fuel only, ignition only, or fuel and ignition? Is there anything beyond these features that you are looking to control - fans or boost, for example?

Fuel and ignition… can you control boost from MS? If yes that would be great too.

3. What are the engine details (type, number of cylinders, previously fuel injected or carb'd?)

4cylinder / fuel injection

4. What type of ignition system does your car run- where is the crank angle sensor (CAS) or distributor trigger wheel and what type is it (Optical/LED Sensor? Hall Sensor? VR Sensor?)

5. How many teeth/windows/slots and what orientation does the CAS, crank trigger, and/or distributor wheel have? (any missing? all evenly spaced?)

6. Is there a distributor? Single/Multiple Coils? Coil on Plug?

7. Does this engine have a fast idle valve (IAC)? If so, how many wires are connected to it? Do you know if it is an on/off, pulse width modulated, thermal, or stepper type?

8. Rate yourself 1-5 on technical confidence in yourself. 1 being "I can't paint by numbers" and 5 being "I can probably build a car from scratch if I have the right documentation, and I'm resourceful enough to do some research and find some of my own answers." I need to know this as some of the 'less traveled' roads will require you to make modifications that in some cases I haven't performed myself yet and based on this response it will help me to know whether this type of solution is for you or not. I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can.

9. Are you looking to build your own ECU from a kit or buy a pre-assembled ECU?

Pre-assembled

10. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system such as the Ford EDIS distributorless system or one of our crank trigger kits if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system? Many factory systems MegaSquirt can simply take control of, some it cannot. EDIS to the rescue! It's cheap, simple and works great!

Yes if I can get some info on how to?

------

i already answered some questions...

350ep70gr

Member +
i think you moving the right direction....!
You will definately try or just curious collecting infos about?
And i think this is a standard reply from them just in case they can guide you a lot faster though those infos!

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
i think you moving the right direction....!
You will definately try or just curious collecting infos about?
And i think this is a standard reply from them just in case they can guide you a lot faster though those infos!

Chris

i wanna try it. its between the MS and mr.turbo.

he told me that 4eftes where not sold in the US so he aint got much info about them so he gave me that list ti answer him and will advise me with what i need

350ep70gr

Member +
btw chris you already used MS and 4efte?

Not yet mate. I have the unit and i have already assemply it (very easy/just 4-5 hours for assemply and testing.). I answer the same e-mail tho during purchase.
I will try to find you some infos but dont take my word on this cause i havent tested (yet).

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +
so i made an enquiry to a company to see if they can supply me with a megasquirt kit. and they replied to me asking some questiopns on our engine. im sure i can get the answers from here... can you please read this and see if you can answer me?? JAY where are you? :p

1. What year/make/model/engine/tranny? (Pretend you're at the parts store, ordering a starter.) If this isn't the original engine/electronics let me know that too.

Toyota Starlet Glanza V 1996 – 4e-fte

2. Are you looking to control fuel only, ignition only, or fuel and ignition? Is there anything beyond these features that you are looking to control - fans or boost, for example?

Fuel and ignition… can you control boost from MS? If yes that would be great too.

3. What are the engine details (type, number of cylinders, previously fuel injected or carb'd?)

4cylinder / fuel injection

4. What type of ignition system does your car run- where is the crank angle sensor (CAS) or distributor trigger wheel and what type is it (Optical/LED Sensor? Hall Sensor? VR Sensor?)

5. How many teeth/windows/slots and what orientation does the CAS, crank trigger, and/or distributor wheel have? (any missing? all evenly spaced?)

6. Is there a distributor? Single/Multiple Coils? Coil on Plug?

7. Does this engine have a fast idle valve (IAC)? If so, how many wires are connected to it? Do you know if it is an on/off, pulse width modulated, thermal, or stepper type?

8. Rate yourself 1-5 on technical confidence in yourself. 1 being "I can't paint by numbers" and 5 being "I can probably build a car from scratch if I have the right documentation, and I'm resourceful enough to do some research and find some of my own answers." I need to know this as some of the 'less traveled' roads will require you to make modifications that in some cases I haven't performed myself yet and based on this response it will help me to know whether this type of solution is for you or not. I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can.

9. Are you looking to build your own ECU from a kit or buy a pre-assembled ECU?

Pre-assembled

10. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system such as the Ford EDIS distributorless system or one of our crank trigger kits if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system? Many factory systems MegaSquirt can simply take control of, some it cannot. EDIS to the rescue! It's cheap, simple and works great!

Yes if I can get some info on how to?

------

i already answered some questions...

Sorry for the late reply sheldon but i had some pc problems.

So 4. is distributor trigger wheel.You really dont mind if it is hall or vr because the board will have both options installed.

5. I think the distributor gear is 26-1 but you can easily open and mesure to be sure.If you dont want to open let me know as i have a spare and can mesure for you.

6. Yes it is.Single coil.

7. yes and it is an on/off if i am not mistaken.

For more infos send a pm to members Fur,ToyotaT23,Scatman who already run the ms-II.

Chris

Sharagath

Member +
When i'm home i will look into the specs of mine EMS form KMS with its specs.
i can give you detaild info about it.

i have been in the same situation as yours.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
When i'm home i will look into the specs of mine EMS form KMS with its specs.
i can give you detaild info about it.

i have been in the same situation as yours.

that would be great so i can be 100% :) thanks. il wait for your reply too then and e-mail them back

350ep70gr

Member +
that would be great so i can be 100% :) thanks. il wait for your reply too then and e-mail them back

You can buy the unit without give them any infos because the unit will have all the features installed. Meaning than same unit can be used for hall or vr or optical, or distributor or edis or coil on plug ,or crank triggered wheell or cam triggered e.t.c. You only need to weld some jumpers when disiding wich ignition system you will use.
Have you read the megamanual at least twice? It is very helpfull.Will help you to understand what you need and will help you from scratch to make the wirring ,installation ,tunning e.t.c.

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
You can buy the unit without give them any infos because the unit will have all the features installed. Meaning than same unit can be used for hall or vr or optical, or distributor or edis or coil on plug ,or crank triggered wheell or cam triggered e.t.c. You only need to weld some jumpers when disiding wich ignition system you will use.
Have you read the megamanual at least twice? It is very helpfull.Will help you to understand what you need and will help you from scratch to make the wirring ,installation ,tunning e.t.c.

Chris

ic. cheers bud. what i was trying is that they see what i need and will send me a kind of plug n play kit im saying kind of cos i know there is some work involved!

do the MS use one main harness and thats all? you can control ignition and timing from it? or like the e-manage ? you will need an additional ignition and injector harness??

i only read the megamanual once and was a bit lost TBH as there where some new stuff to me... there was someone once over here that told me he used an old standard ecu to take the plug out and wired in the MS... so it came like a plug n play kit easy to go standard again without touching the OEM harness. so i take it our cars will run normaly without the oem ECU? not needed for lights etc like the modern cars?

350ep70gr

Member +
ic. cheers bud. what i was trying is that they see what i need and will send me a kind of plug n play kit im saying kind of cos i know there is some work involved!

do the MS use one main harness and thats all? you can control ignition and timing from it? or like the e-manage ? you will need an additional ignition and injector harness??

i only read the megamanual once and was a bit lost TBH as there where some new stuff to me... there was someone once over here that told me he used an old standard ecu to take the plug out and wired in the MS... so it came like a plug n play kit easy to go standard again without touching the OEM harness. so i take it our cars will run normaly without the oem ECU? not needed for lights etc like the modern cars?

If you dont want to make a new wiring you just need and old ecu as a plug donner.You open and take the plug with the legs and there you wire your ms.And after this is plug and play.You need to find the mach from the pinout of the ms and pinout from the standard ecu.

Ms has no need for an extra harness as from the one it needs for the installation.

Avoid to buy a premade unit with some feature not existing because you will need extra work if later go for edis-4 waste spark or if you will try to install it in a different car or sold it or whatever. Better buy a full unit and just make the selections afterwards.

our cars will run normaly without the oem ECU with ms installed but you can also use it as a piggy back system for controlling only the fuel.

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
If you dont want to make a new wiring you just need and old ecu as a plug donner.You open and take the plug with the legs and there you wire your ms.And after this is plug and play.You need to find the mach from the pinout of the ms and pinout from the standard ecu.

Ms has no need for an extra harness as from the one it needs for the installation.

Avoid to buy a premade unit with some feature not existing because you will need extra work if later go for edis-4 waste spark or if you will try to install it in a different car or sold it or whatever. Better buy a full unit and just make the selections afterwards.

our cars will run normaly without the oem ECU with ms installed but you can also use it as a piggy back system for controlling only the fuel.

Chris

that makes it more clear. then a unit with harness is all i need! an old ecu and match the pins with the unit.

can keep all the OEM sensors?

350ep70gr

Member +
that makes it more clear. then a unit with harness is all i need! an old ecu and match the pins with the unit.

can keep all the OEM sensors?

Yes you can exept the tps. You need a variable one or the auto tps.For the sensors you need just a calibration via megatherm software. Or if you want to change you can use the gm one for iat and clt.

Chris

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Yes you can exept the tps. You need a variable one or the auto tps.For the sensors you need just a calibration via megatherm software. Or if you want to change you can use the gm one for iat and clt.

Chris

ok.. so a mission to find an auto tps then :\