Spark plug correct torque and gap settings

Shaneyb

Fresh Recruit
I have tried to search the forum for the correct torque settings when installing spark plugs without any luck. Can anyone shed light some light on this topic?

Also while searching for the correct spark plug gap, I have found answers ranging from 0.8mm to 1.1mm. Does anyone know the actual correct gap that the 4efte should be running on? Would there need to be a change in gap if running iridium plugs? Ive read that the gap should be smaller than stock if running higher boost etc.

I think a sticky should be made with more information about spark plug heat range and gapping as I think it is a vital part of running a powerful/healthy engine.

laskt9

Member +
In general 1.1 is fine for stock boost. 0.8 if you're running high boost. And don't use iridium. Copper will do just fine. These are just things I've read on here and tercelonline as I'm in the us

Edit: as for torque I believe you do 3/4 turn after hand tight if there is a gasket and 1/4 if not? Don't quote me on that. It should be on spark plug box
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

AdamB

Member +
A big as gap as possible, start at 1.1 then if it missfires just take it down.
Normally the settings are on the box of the plugs, sure it is 3/4 turn after hand tight.

weeJohn

Lifer
The correct torque and how much to turn it after its torqued should be on the plug box.

I always read on forced induction cars running high boost its better to index the plug gap away from the inlet to stop it getting blown out.

Rev

Member +
I notice the link I posted shows spark plugs at the side where as starlet plugs are in the middle of the chamber and ports.

So indexing for power > I now read a centre plug gives more power so I guess Starlet doesn't need indexing for power.

Indexing for higher boost to protect spark > weeJohn has answered this index the plug gap away from the inlet port.

Indexing to reduce knock > Does anyone know what's best for this ?

Last edited: