Speed Cut

TrisK

Member +
The garage i bought my V from said they removed the 180kmph speed cut, is there anyway to visibly check aside from taking it up to over 180kmph ? as obviously dont want to do that on public road...

Thanks

Blak_Mamber

Member +
few ways this can be done:

SLD (Speed limit defencer)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HKS-SPEED-LIM...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3eff210651

KPH to MPH converter

http://www.tm-developments.com/inde...oducts_id=10&zenid=5ggrrc3rr27cbv7mmm9n3emlu2

Piggy back/stand alone ecu also removes the restriction.

So you will need to have a look out for these. The SLD & piggy back will be the easiest to look out for as the speedo converter will be behind the dash somewhere :freddy:

If you find a place to do over 112 mph & it goes over....then your all cool :cool:

Hope this helps :)

Sparky

Member +
As above, if the car is still reading in km/h then you can just check for a HKS SLD coming off the ECU or maybe it has an aftermarket ECU which you would notice.

If its reads in mph and has 180mph dials then it has been converted that way which removes the speed cut restrictor :)

TrisK

Member +
As above, if the car is still reading in km/h then you can just check for a HKS SLD coming off the ECU or maybe it has an aftermarket ECU which you would notice.

If its reads in mph and has 180mph dials then it has been converted that way which removes the speed cut restrictor :)

I reckon i might have this
http://www.tm-developments.com/inde...oducts_id=10&zenid=5ggrrc3rr27cbv7mmm9n3emlu2

Or similar, cause there is a metal tube, that plugs into the clocks (with a bit of ducktape, which is a bit dodgy), then the speedo cable plugs into the tube.

It also reads in mph and has a sticker over the k in kmph. So does that mean the speedcut is probably moved to 180mph ?

TrisK

Member +
I also have a JAM racing FCD that comes out the in the glove box, and it boosts to 1 bar in all gears.

Does this mean that i have a new actuator or turbo too?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I reckon i might have this

Or similar, cause there is a metal tube, that plugs into the clocks (with a bit of ducktape, which is a bit dodgy), then the speedo cable plugs into the tube.

It also reads in mph and has a sticker over the k in kmph. So does that mean the speedcut is probably moved to 180mph ?

Yeah, that means you have the converter... same as me :)

I also have a JAM racing FCD that comes out the in the glove box, and it boosts to 1 bar in all gears.

Does this mean that i have a new actuator or turbo too?

We hope so :p You should have some sort of fueling control (Fuel pressure regulator) & you should have an uprated actuator as the oem actuator cannot be adjusted to 1 bar....

get some pics up or something :)

Sparky

Member +
Yup no speed cut then mate :)

What other mods does the car have? FCD can be dangerous if not used with a different fuel pressure regulator and set up correctly with the supporting mods, especially running that boost.

TrisK

Member +
Yup no speed cut then mate :)

What other mods does the car have? FCD can be dangerous if not used with a different fuel pressure regulator and set up correctly with the supporting mods, especially running that boost.

well im not entirely sure what mods it has completely as i bought the car as an import from a garage, and im guessing they havent listed everything.

i know it has 5inch exahust system, and greddy induction kit.

still TMIC and the FCD in the glove box.

what areas do i need to take pictures of, and i will get them up for you lot to have a look.
its a 98 facelift V if that helps with what i need to take pics of.

TrisK

Member +
I also dont know about the actuator or turbo, but i dont know how to get at them to look, or even how to tell what the standard one looks like

Sparky

Member +
5" exhaust? :O

If it doesnt have an aftermarket manifold I would strongly recomend one running that boost as there is a restriction in one of the ports which your piston wont like.

I would turn the boost down to be on the safe side until you can post some pictures/spec list

TrisK

Member +
5" exhaust? :O

If it doesnt have an aftermarket manifold I would strongly recomend one running that boost as there is a restriction in one of the ports which your piston wont like.

I would turn the boost down to be on the safe side until you can post some pictures/spec list

well my boost guage powers up to 0.9, but my turbo timer has recorded a peak of 1.01 bar. any more than that im kinda keeping my eyes on the road.

pretty sure its 5 inch, looks bigger than my old car which had a 4.

how do i turn down the boost ? i dont have a boost controller in the car or anything.

how can i get a picture of the turbo, manifold and actuator? isnt it under head sheilding.
you have me slightly concernerned now, although the car has been running like that fine for 3 months already...

Rickyt

Member +
so all u need for speed cut instead of hks sld is that adaptor to back of the speedo clocks and change the dials to 180mph ones??

Blak_Mamber

Member +
well my boost guage powers up to 0.9, but my turbo timer has recorded a peak of 1.01 bar. any more than that im kinda keeping my eyes on the road.

pretty sure its 5 inch, looks bigger than my old car which had a 4.

how do i turn down the boost ? i dont have a boost controller in the car or anything.

how can i get a picture of the turbo, manifold and actuator? isnt it under head sheilding.
you have me slightly concernerned now, although the car has been running like that fine for 3 months already...

How are you finding out its hitting a peak of 1.01 bar without a boost controller? A turbo timer just counts down the time you preset when you turn your car off so it keeps running.

so all u need for speed cut instead of hks sld is that adaptor to back of the speedo clocks and change the dials to 180mph ones??

Yes.

It will read MPH on your existing clocks mate. No need to change them. So you will have 180 mph on your clocks from now on.... so 30 KPH on the clock will now read 30mph :)

Sparky

Member +

Oh dear havent you ever looked under the bonnet???

TrisK

Member +
How are you finding out its hitting a peak of 1.01 bar without a boost controller? A turbo timer just counts down the time you preset when you turn your car off so it keeps running.
I have a blitz 'dual mode' turbo timer. it records peak boost as well as turbo timing, i presume its cause it has an automatic mode (where it calculates how long it needs from how much pressure its been running, it has a vacum hose that goes to it)

Rickyt

Member +

Yes.

It will read MPH on your existing clocks mate. No need to change them. So you will have 180 mph on your clocks from now on.... so 30 KPH on the clock will now read 30mph :)

Cheers m8 will have to 1 of these adaptors then

lloyd94

Fresh Recruit
my car dosent hav a speed or rev limit and i looked at the ecu it looks standard and the only thing wired into it is a hks fcd and it reads kmh and thers no adapters r any thing on the back of the clocks so what could be done to it?

Blak_Mamber

Member +
my car dosent hav a speed or rev limit and i looked at the ecu it looks standard and the only thing wired into it is a hks fcd and it reads kmh and thers no adapters r any thing on the back of the clocks so what could be done to it?

So yours must still be in KPH then & therfore restricted to 112mph...

TrisK

Member +
IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

3 pictures of my engine bay, although i cant see under that head sheilding to see the manifold and i presume actuator is there too ?

Any help please, i want to work out what mods i have and if this is safe!