Spongy Brakes and unbalanced handbrake

gizzy98

Member +
Hi Guys,

My MOT ran out today (Havnt booked it in yet as I know I need to do some work on the brakes)

The o/s/r wheel can still be turned with the handbrake on but the n/s/r cant, is there any separate adjustment I can do to balance this out or does it mean a new caliper/cable? The handbrake only comes up 5/6 clicks and as the n/s/r is fine im assuming the cables are ok, wasnt sure if there were any independant adjustments for each side under the car though.

Also, i stripped and cleaned up both rear calipers this morning, nothing was seized so all good and I built them back up.

The brake peddle has been a bit spongy for a while and ive got some bad brake fade so I decided to change the fluid whilst I had bits stripped down.

Changed the fluid with some 5.1 but the peddle still feels spongy.

The brake rubber hoses are all original I think so could my problem be these due to the age of the car? (96 Glanza)

Is it worth getting some braided lines on there? Im fitting a TD04 kit after the MOT (so I can take the Cat off) so want to make sure the brakes are spot on.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

gizzy98

Member +
Thanks mate, its moving freely at the caliper end so could be stretched. Im thinking about changing the handbrake cable & fitting some braided brake lines which will hopefully sort it.

How much of a pain is replacing the handbrake cable on ur back?

Kyle_R

Member +
no probs buddy if you just replaced the 1 you could end up with same problem having 1 new cable! also before removing the cables spray wd40 where the cables bolt to the body as the brackets are flimsy and could easily tear off. but its a pretty easy job tbh

Jay

Admin
Sounds like a cable mate. Easy enough replaced although in the EP91 there's a bitch of a heatshield that gets in the way below the handbrake assembley.

Jay

gizzy98

Member +
Thanks mate,

Ive got new cables & a TD brake upgrade kit coming.

Can I fit the cables around the heatshield or do I need to drop the exhaust & remove the shield?

Thanks,

Adam