Starlet EP82 1.5 Toyota Paseo (5efe) conversion... HELP NEEDED!!!

MissGT

Fresh Recruit
Hi Guys,

Need some help ASAP if anyone can advice me then i'll be seriously grateful.

Right... So I have a hurt Starlet Turbo (ep82) 93, the car has a TD04, FMIC, 330 Inj, Fuel reg, AEM FMIC, Blitz boost controller, Welbro Fuel Pump and lots and lots of supporting mods and was running 220hp. I recently melted a piston (grrr....) Im told it was as the fuelling was wrong as someone fucked with my boost controller!!! On the flip side I also have a Toyota Paseo ST 1.5 (5efe... i think?) N/A, and am told by many starlet owners I am able to use the bottom end??

Now here’s the thing... After many hours of research I’m finding people say the 5efe would need a complete forged rebuild...? (not gunna happen as my purse is now EMPTY) and the 5efhe (from the later version?) is the one to use... They say to use the 5efhe rods as they can handle more power and the 1.5 bottom end but replace the piston with my 1.3 ep82 ones?

Can someone please shed some light as to WFT I do... do i replace my 1.3 standard melted piston with another one (i have another ep82 engine) or do i use the Paseo(also known as Cynos?) bottom end and throw in a fresh set of pistons from my 2 ep82 engines? Or do i wait.... save.... and but a complete forged set of pistons n rods... (don’t really want 300hp for now so last last resort...

Please help and be kind im a LADY lol!

Thank you for reading and all help from anyone would be great!!!!

:p:p

AdamB

Member +
The 5EFE rods are as thin as chicken legs and don't like to have any sort of boost as it is too much stress for them.
If you have a spare engine, just use the 1 piston (as long as it is the same size mark) just get the block honed and throw a new set of rings on all 4 pistons.

MissGT

Fresh Recruit
All done!!! Thank u for the clarification!!! so i have ordered a new set of pistons n rings for the gt.... now to my next question (and last lol)..... The car was mapped with a AEM piggy back ECU and has a Blitz Pro Spec B boost controller, when it was mapped orignally both the piggy back and tha boost contrllr where set up and the care was running sweet! but once i replace the pistons will i need to get the piggy back ecu mapped again? and also where can i get settings for the boost controller(or is there someone who can set it up) as someone messed with it just before the piston melted and had given me supa boost creep!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

turboloon

Member +
yes you will need to get it remapped,but who ever maps your car will set the boost controler at the same time,once set do not let any one play with the boost controller!!:)

MissGT

Fresh Recruit
ahh okk, baught forged piston, rings n conrods instead, if anyone can recommned a tuner please do!!!

wildchild

Member +
dont forget to skim the head before refitting. with forged pistons you can safely reach 300bhp. add a set of ARP headbolts and a steel head gasket to go with it.
Oh and one more thing :D if you can source funds and you still have stock bearings then change to ACL duraglide bearings. you can get the whole set for around $130.00 on ebay.

MissGT

Fresh Recruit
Oh Thank u!! i kinda cut a huge corner and got a OEM head gasket n bolts... V.stupid of me but its too late now!!! lol, im sure i would get 260/70 outta her with a genuwine head gasket>?

If not then guna have to be patient until i some more ££