Steering wheel vibration

Johnleiper

Member +
Hey guys I have a steering wheel vibration under hard acceleration or occasionally when cruising at 50+mph.
Wheels have been balanced, suspension has no play, top mounts ok, wheels not buckled. Tyres all ok.
Car is booked in at performance HQ on Thursday so I want everything to be perfect for the dyno.
Any ideas?

thefalls

Member +
What type of brakes do you have?

Stock?

Or upgraded ones?

Most of the times its the warped rotors that cause column vibrations.

Johnleiper

Member +
What type of brakes do you have?

Stock?

Or upgraded ones?

Most of the times its the warped rotors that cause column vibrations.

They are stock calipers with 3G disks and stock pads, they are defo not warped as the vibration is not under braking

Rory

Lifer
Track rod ends ok?
Ball joints ok?
Wishbone bushes ok?
Shafts ok?
Steering rack ok?

Look through everything that is bushed etc at the front. Something obviously isnt right.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Track rod ends ok?
Ball joints ok?
Wishbone bushes ok?
Shafts ok?
Steering rack ok?

Look through everything that is bushed etc at the front. Something obviously isnt right.

How can you tell if these are fucked? I wouldnt have a clue by looking myself. My steering feels proper fucked. I dont know where to start. Dont really want to give it to a garage either as i dont trust any tbh... (sorry to hijak thread :()

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like it could be your inner universal joints. but check everything above as rory has pointed out as could be any of those too

Johnleiper

Member +
Track rod ends ok?
Ball joints ok?
Wishbone bushes ok?
Shafts ok?
Steering rack ok?

Ball joints all ok
Just replaced NSF driveshaft because it was knocking
Steering rack ok
Wishbone bushes feel ok- no forward movement in wheel

Hope it's not the driveshafts- not cheap
Will this be a problem on the dyno?

Johnleiper

Member +
How can you tell if these are fucked? I wouldnt have a clue by looking myself. My steering feels proper fucked. I dont know where to start. Dont really want to give it to a garage either as i dont trust any tbh... (sorry to hijak thread :()

If you really don't know what your looking for it would be advisable to get a garage to check your car out.