Sump gasket

Lee C

Member +
Ive have found a oil leak on my car, ive had a look and it seems to be running down onto the gearbox and dripping onto the exhaust. The only thing i can maybe see it coming from is the sump gasket as the is no oil around anything past the sump. Im only guessing as its hard to see where its starting but its running down where the flywheel is and dripping down onto the exhaust.

There is no oil ( well maybe a little drop ) when parked for a few days but obvious signs of it dripping onto the exhaust. When i top the oil upto the MAX level on the dipstick after a few days its back down to MINIUM.

My question is, are they common for the sump gasket to go? and are they easy to fit?

Thanks
Lee

Jay

Admin
Common enough - I've seen quite a few sumps start to weep around the lower pulley area. Guess the seal deteriorates with age.

How's your clutch feel?

If it's gathering on the join where your gearbox and engine meet it could be a crankshaft seal leaking (also common-ish) and that can throw oil onto your flywheel and clutch assembley.

Jay

Admin
They dont have a seal. Gotta use a sealent.

Aye, forgot to mention it's just sump sealer that Toyota put on there. Most of these cars are 10-17 years old so we can forgive the odd oil leak.

Just keep and eye on the oil level till you get her sorted.

Lee C

Member +
Clutch feels crap to be honest, now you have said sorta makes sence.

It is gathering on the join and then running down and dripping onto the exhaust.

starbogt

Member +
How's your clutch feel?

If it's gathering on the join where your gearbox and engine meet it could be a crankshaft seal leaking (also common-ish) and that can throw oil onto your flywheel and clutch assembley.

Is this hard to change cos reckon that may be a problem on mine?

Mine has leaked oil from the sump selant since I've had it.

I got it redone and it still does it.:mad:

will let u in on a little style we use......if u put the sealant on equal portions along the sump, it will tend to leak from either the curve by the crank or/and flywheel.........hence u need to apply a little more to the curved sections to prevent it---becareful not to over apply though, as u dont want it oozzing everywhere..:rockon:

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
How much are the crank seals? May change mine at the next clutch change just for the sake of getting it done.

G6Turbo

Member +
there is a canister available with sealant fluid, it wil stop leaks of oil. I was having a leaking sump gasket aswel since i poored the stuff in it stopped :)