supra turbo question

glanzanut

Lifer
The MKIV Supra's twin turbos operated in sequential mode instead of the more common parallel mode. The sequential setup featured a pair of CT-12b turbos (for the usdm market, JDM market was CT20/Ct20A with variations- some are ceramic- notorious, some are not. For UK and USDM market steel blades (CT-12b).
:freddy:

glanzanut

Lifer
i would imagine the boost needed to give you a figure of 250bhp would melt standard internals. also on the supra two of these were used to poduce over 300 so its a big ask for one to give 250 on a 1.3. if your not going forged my advice would be just run a hybrid ct9 or td04 at 1bar. :freddy:

enright82

Member +
im not, just trying to prove a point, someone out there knows whys im asking, ill leave it to them to explain, ''if any man can beat my car, they can keep it'' lol :)

Monkfish

Member +
The MKIV Supra's twin turbos operated in sequential mode instead of the more common parallel mode.

No they don't.

"The 1JZ-GTE employs twin CT12A turbochargers arranged in parallel and blowing through a side-mount or front mount air-to-air intercooler. With an 8.5:1 static compression ratio, the factory quoted power and torque outputs are 280 metric horsepower (210 kW) at 6200 rpm and 363 newton metres (268 ft·lbf) at 4800 rpm respectively. These motors are over square (86.0mm bore x 71.5mm stroke). Yamaha may have had a hand in the development or production of these motors (possibly the head design), hence the Yamaha badging on certain parts of the motor, such as the cam gear cover. In 1991, the 1JZ-GTE was slotted into the all-new Soarer GT." - From Wikipedia

The CT12 doesn't bolt straight to the CT9 manifold. The work required to get one to fit doesn't justify the power gained over a CT9 Hybrid and probably won't match that of a TD04 anyway.

If you're a metal fabricator and can do the work for pittence, it might be worth opting for a CT12 just to be a bit different. I wouldn't bother if you had to pay to have someone make it fit.

glanzanut

Lifer
No they don't.

"The 1JZ-GTE employs twin CT12A turbochargers arranged in parallel and blowing through a side-mount or front mount air-to-air intercooler. With an 8.5:1 static compression ratio, the factory quoted power and torque outputs are 280 metric horsepower (210 kW) at 6200 rpm and 363 newton metres (268 ft·lbf) at 4800 rpm respectively. These motors are over square (86.0mm bore x 71.5mm stroke). Yamaha may have had a hand in the development or production of these motors (possibly the head design), hence the Yamaha badging on certain parts of the motor, such as the cam gear cover. In 1991, the 1JZ-GTE was slotted into the all-new Soarer GT." - From Wikipedia

The CT12 doesn't bolt straight to the CT9 manifold. The work required to get one to fit doesn't justify the power gained over a CT9 Hybrid and probably won't match that of a TD04 anyway.

If you're a metal fabricator and can do the work for pittence, it might be worth opting for a CT12 just to be a bit different. I wouldn't bother if you had to pay to have someone make it fit.
yes they do!
that bit you have quoted is about the The 1JZ-GTE, which run parallel. but the 2jz gte run sequential which is what i quoted i think? lol
just read it again and double checked the quote i gave is right for the 2jz gte.
you quoted for the 1jz-GTE which was in the older mk3 supras

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Supra

Last edited:

Monkfish

Member +
yes they do!
that bit you have quoted is about the The 1JZ-GTE, which run parallel. but the 2jz gte run sequential which is what i quoted i think? lol
just read it again and double checked the quote i gave is right for the 2jz gte.
you quoted for the 1jz-GTE which was in the older mk3 supras

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Supra

I mis-read, you are indeed correct!

"The 2JZ-GTE originally powered the Toyota Aristo V (JZS147) in 1991 before becoming Toyota's flagship performance engine in the Toyota Supra RZ (JZA80). Its mechanical basis was the existing 2JZ-GE, but differed in its use of sequential twin turbochargers and an air-to-air side-mounted intercooler. The block, crank, and connecting rods of the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE are the same with the exception that the 2JZ-GTE has a forged crankshaft and oil squirters installed in the block to aid in cooling the pistons. Toyota's VVT-i variable valve timing technology was added to the engine beginning in September 1997, whence it phased out the original engine. Consequently, maximum torque was raised for engines selling in all markets."

:teach:

ryanerak

Member +
I no what your talking about :p

That aint no stock ct12 tho ;)

Yea i should have just given him a hiding and took his car lol when my new one arrives & theres another herts beds & bucks meet ill go take his car :p 250bhp from a "supra" turbo on a non forged 4e, ok m8 :homer:

TO82

Member +
I wanted you to have a play with him but someone said your turbo was on its way out smoking or sumat. It did look to go well, but i duno what power it was tho lol

ryanerak

Member +
yea my turbo is on the way out, a fair bit of shaft play and smoking :( tis ok though coz i think im gna go for a VF30, just need to find one :) id imagine his car was quick but i think he might regret saying anyone who beats me can have my car lol

oh yes

well boys im going to run a 5e with a 1.4 cruize headgasket with stock glanza turbo pistons with 5efte rods on a ct20 i want to be different k26,k24,td04 there all well known to go in to starlets its time to change around there may be people that have done this but i want to prove somthings thanks dan