TD04 boost issue

milloman

Member +
Hey,

I've tried searching this but only get issues where the boost is ok, and then drops off as the revs increase...

This isn't the case here, mine is just downright low! now... the engine's just been rebuilt, when i first drove it (after about 300 miles run in), it boosted at about 0.6 bar... i just gave it some on the way home, the thing was going at 0.4bar all the way to the redline... it does have a gash BOV so perhaps this could be causing the issue? Oh also meant to add, it's SO laggy, like takes till about 5000rpm to get up to 'full' boost?

Hasn't been mapped , i have pretty much all the necessary mods to get it mapped but hasn't been done.

I'll go and investigate all the pipes especially the ones around the bov... is it possible the actuator just got fiddled with in the rebuild process?

My guess... either loose pipe somewhere, or the BOV is just so rubbish and knackered... or the turbo itself is knackered?

Hope this isn't the most blatant repost, sorry if it is!

milloman

Member +
check to see if you have any boost leaks, check all pipes make sure fully connected mate.

Haha! Love your display name 'Captain Starlet', legendary.

Yeah i will do tomorrow. if all seems ok... i guess first thing, replace the bov? if that doesn't solve it.. poo. lol.

It's the worst bov i've ever seen or hear, probably came out of a siera cosworth or something. i'll look in the for sale section if one takes my fancy :)

thanks mate

Yeah that would be the best place to start from check leaks, doesnt sound like the actuator being fiddled with as you said it boosted to .6 bar after it was done.

the td04 should create full boost at 4k.

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
see if there is any play in the actuator arm, if there is and you can see your wastegate flap moving, then adjust the actuator so it holds shut :)

Fishy89GT

Banned
lol you redlined it after 300 miles at 0.6 bar? mental lol.

have you got forged internals? was the kit new or used? and i take it you have an internal wg?

milloman

Member +
lol you redlined it after 300 miles at 0.6 bar? mental lol.

have you got forged internals? was the kit new or used? and i take it you have an internal wg?

Well when i say 'redlined' i mean going near to it, more like 6500 ish, i definately wasn't bouncing off of it, lol, just wanted to make the point that it wasn't altering throughout the rev range :)

Kit was made up of different bits (toymota had it done when it was her car) turbo was off an impreza with supposedly around 20,000 miles ish. rest of it's WEPR. internal wg yeah.

Rory

Lifer
Im geussing, that who ever built your engine, has lengthened the arm so you cant create alot of boost while running it in.

Try and shorten the actuator arm, a little bit at a time and go from there.

If the boost is being lazy, then i always put it down to the actuator. (Worked for me when i ran the actuator setup)

milloman

Member +
Im geussing, that who ever built your engine, has lengthened the arm so you cant create alot of boost while running it in.

Try and shorten the actuator arm, a little bit at a time and go from there.

If the boost is being lazy, then i always put it down to the actuator. (Worked for me when i ran the actuator setup)

Cool thanks thats good advice :) looked at all the pipe work and it seems to be ok.

When you say 'ran the actuator setup'.. this as opposed to what? :)

Cheers,