TD05 On Standard Internals & Fuelling?

sdutton007

Member +
I'm currently running a smoky TD04L (speedvision kit) and am thinking of replacing it with a TD05 of some description. Will this still run fine on standard internals and fuelling without leaning out?

What is the difference between TD05-16g 18g 14b etc?

And I just read a post by "starbogt" which says "If you want big power and fast spool try looking into the VF series off the impreza's etc they're same flanges as TD04 td05 but ballbearing I think vf23 or vf28 are ok but don't quote may be a little big." - will the VF23 or VF28 give as much power as a TD05 and still have less lag? And will they fit straight onto a TD04 manifold and downpipe?

sdutton007

Member +
I'm planning to get it mapped & forged by the end of the year so the TD05 does make more sense - I just wanted to make sure it wouldnt run lean on standard map and wouldnt strain the standard internals

Nippon

Member +
Internals should be ok as long as you dont run more than 1bar of boost.
Would definatly get a fuel pressure regulator and have the fueling checked on a wideband at least.

sdutton007

Member +
Internals should be ok as long as you dont run more than 1bar of boost.
Would definatly get a fuel pressure regulator and have the fueling checked on a wideband at least.

Cheers I'll be running less than 0.85 bar until it is forged and mapped.

I am planning to get a wideband at the same time - I have heard somewhere that the Bosch 4.2 (or 4.9 not sure) sensor is the one you MUST get (not sure why). Do you know much about these?

As I understand it, this is the one to go for: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300378623904 - not exactly cheap but could be a lot worse. And all I need is a positive, negative, and plug it into the exhaust 30cm from the turbo (think I'll have to get a nut welded in)

Last edited:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
What is the difference between TD05-16g 18g 14b etc?

the units u mentioned above are greddy units, they dont use the same flanges as the td04l so its not a straight swap.

the 14b & 16g are used as street/track turbos as they give very good response (1 bar by 3800~4000rpms) & give no lag between gears. they are rated to 350ps ar 2.2bar (according to greddy). the 18g is the big daddy of the greddy td05 series turbos, its rated to 440ps at 2.2bar, now u can choose 3 exhaust housings, 6cm2 , 8cm2 or 10cm2 (0.41ar , 0.57ar & 0.76ar respectively) im using the 6cm2 housing & get 20psi by around 4400rpms & it pulls like nothing else all the way to 8500rpms :)

hope that helps
kon