Thermostat sensor melting??? HALP!

GT_Irl

Member +
Hey All...check out the picture below. It looks like my thermostat sensor is melting?

IMG_0262.jpg

Anyone had this before? What could it be? How can I fix it?

rep for help! :)

dark_knight

Member +
did that melt in situ (on the car) or did you have some other source of heat in the area to cause that amount of damage..? looks serious.. :(
what i'd start with is do a wire trace and find out if there are any short-circuits in the harness. a healthy thermo switch should not have dangerous levels of current flowing through it if your circuit is healthy. you can trace the wire (which i believe is light-green with a red stripe) to the fuse box. you will have to change the switch though.. so find a breaker. while you are at it, check that your rad fan relay is still ok. this may be a symptom that it too suffered some damage or is the culprit..

Rev

Member +
x2 Also what about some split tube heat shield for the new wiring like the other cables have. Does any one know where to get those sensor plugs ? I have seen lots of green water sensors for sale but not the harness plug that goes into the sensor.

wildchild

Member +
seems you're getting an opposite voltage from one of the wires. what i meant is dat its gettin earthed somewhere in the loom or there is a positive voltage where it shud get only negative.. check the harness.

sorry for going out of topic but can sum1 tel me at what temp does the rad fan come on?
what temp range plug and colour code should i acquire to get the fan to start early?