think my head gasket has gone...

tucka

Member +
well i get the funny feeling my head gasket is gone,im losing coolent,fill her up once a week, got this brown sludgy stuff sittin at the top of my radiator when i open up the cap, i havnt been driving her for a while as i baught the misses a lil NA starlet so i use that most of the time, but im just wondering if you guys have any insight if it could be anything else, i have also just baught a new rad and fitted aswel as the old one had seen better days.

im looking at selling her in the next couple of months and i need the problem solvin before i do, so who knows how to fit a head gasket and how mucho do you reckon its gonna cost?

thanks for any imput

cheers

tucka

Ted

Member +
brown sludgy stuff could be a lot of things. it accumulates in things like the heater matrix and might have got dislodged. i have the same problem, have to fill up coolant every week but compression test was 160 over all 4 cylinders so hopefully that rules out headgasket.try a compression test.

could be a leak somewhere, check water pump, thermostat housing, wet carpets(heater matrix). toyota use red coolant which makes spotting leaks easy if you use it. maybe flush your coolant and use a bottle of that to see if its coming out anywhere.
ted

i have the same problem, have to fill up coolant every week but compression test was 160 over all 4 cylinders so hopefully that rules out headgasket.try a compression test.

ted

A compression test would not rule out that your Head Gasket is ok.
It could be a break in the gasket between a water pore and oil pore

ikzgtt

Member +
i had this issue for months.

tried 3 new rad caps, didnt help
tried thermostat etc.

tried compression, sniff test etc.
tried flushing the rad 5 times.

nothing helped. bought a aluminium rad from burwash and it had been fine since.no issues at all now. rad cores regardless of other peoples opinions can cause this exact same issue if it is blocked somewhere quite heavily. it was happening to me when i gave the car some stick but on idle or low boost, was fine.

most people think this will occur continously or not at all if the rad is blocked but that was not so for my car. definately something to bare in mind, you might not have to worry about a HG just yet :)

I bet its the rad core, let me know when you find a solution fella