thoughts on ice

twaiter

Member +
well guys my car currently has non...
well the previous owner has speakers in the front in pods but they dont look great so im just gonna run with 6x9's in the back and an amp i think.

im looking at getting vibe speakers as i have a good FLY amp and i'll try get a decent head unit, but whats your opinions and thoughts as i know a lot of you run this setup..

AdamB

Member +
Good set of front speakers, 6x9's in the parcel shelf and a little amp to power it. It's only a small car so don't need anything OTT.

twaiter

Member +
not gonna bother with front speakers i dont think, like you say only a small car, and the speaker pods that are fitted are not a great fit so sound quality will be crap i think hence why im thinking of bypassing them.

twaiter

Member +
i dont really want a sub to be honest, i dont want the extra weight and boot space taken up.. unless i can get a sub speaker on the parcel shelf ! :)

thinking on getting this unit, would this fit right in ?
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_265857_productId_770493_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Criteo-_-Category-_-Product-_-Na&_$ja=tsid:35814

AdamB

Member +
Tbh I never see the need for a sub, the 6x9's will give a little punch to the sound, saves carrying the extra weight ;)
Is it aftermarket speaker pods at the front? I don't like the look of them tbh I would take them out.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Good quality uprated 10cm speakers in the front and 6x9's in the parcel shelf, both connected to an amp. no more needed imo.

Texx

Super Moderator
The GT has 5" speakers in the rear side panels, 4" components in the dash and an active sub under the front passenger seat. IMO it sounds well, with the back stripped out there's no boot or parcel shelf to fit anything else, so the active sub serves it's purpose well.

Blak_Mamber

Member +
The GT has 5" speakers in the rear side panels, 4" components in the dash and an active sub under the front passenger seat. IMO it sounds well, with the back stripped out there's no boot or parcel shelf to fit anything else, so the active sub serves it's purpose well.

My GT only has 2 10cm speakers in the front. Whos GT's were lucky enough to come with that lot ^^ ? or are you talking about your GT only? :)

Texx

Super Moderator
My GT only has 2 10cm speakers in the front. Whos GT's were lucky enough to come with that lot ^^ ? or are you talking about your GT only? :)

Didn't come with car mate, at the time I was travelling from Bristol to Bournemouth and back every weekend and soon got fed up of the road noise and general lack of sound quality from what was previously in there.

dark_knight

Member +
decent head + speakers

if you have a decent head unit, you really don't need an amp. i'm running a sony dv-1500u and it's rated at 52 watts flowing through 4 channels and it sounds very very nice. i have 10cm xplods in the front and 6x9 xplods on the rear parcel shelf. i do have a 4-channel jec amp but it's currently wired to only feed my 12" pioneer sub, encased in a band-pass enclosure -- it sounds awesome! but most time i have it out of the trunk coz of the weight and lack of space. i do love the amp though because of its' band-pass feature.

anyway, each to their own. i'd get a nice single- or double-din head and some decent speakers front and rear then conclude that debate.. :D
best bit about my setup is the head plays video/dvd and i recently got it a 7" lcd for my co-pilot so it's a total solution.. :p

Last edited:

twaiter

Member +
Sounds good! I think what I'm gonna do it run the dash speakers from the hu, and amp the 6x9s. And get rid of the door pods, ill need to see how they are wired in.
Do I need the metal plates in the stereo area for a double din unit?

starletsy

Member +
Yes you do need the metal plates.
I would go for some btter speakers in the door pockets and run them off the amp as well and not bother with the dash speakers the bigger 5" speakers in the door would be better than the tiny 4" ones in the dash

dark_knight

Member +
audio control

bigger is not always better.. :)
are you after window-shattering sound to wake up the neighbors..? or do you want pristine music for the interior..? even with smaller dash speakers, with most head units these days, you can fade the front channel slightly lower because these front speakers cannot (in most cases) keep up with the other rear big brother speakers. on mine, i have the front faded 30% so that even on cranking up the sound, you don't have distorted music coming through your speakers. i further have my band-pass filter engaged to cut out the low frequencies to the mid-range speakers and these are only handled by the sub.

in essence, at times people go too far in trying to get massive sound equipment when the solution is right in what they already have.. :D