Throttle cable placement

si2001

Member +
The past couple of times out in the Starlet when I've got to around 65 and floored it the engine light has come one and the car has violently shook. Needless to say I stepped off the gas, light went off and I just drove smoothly. Today on the way home, once again it happened when I went to overtake, so in the failing light I checked the HT leads were pushed in properly but then I noticed that the throttle cable had jumped out of it's retaining bracket (specifically where the 2 screws meet the cable sheathing). It was too dark and hoying it down with rain for me to mess on with it but I did think I had no idea what should go where back in the retaining bracket. i.e. do the 2 screws split and one sits either side of the bracket or do they both sit either side and then tighten up the slack.

So could anyone enlighten me? A nice close-up photo of this area would work a treat so I can tackle it in the morning?

I plan on changing the spark plugs (currently platinum tipped 22k on them) and HT leads next month anyway just in case the engine light has something to do with them. I've notice poor fuel mileage of late so I guess those could have something to do with it.

Cheers

Si.

dac69er

Super Moderator
most likely fuel cut. have you done an ecu fault code check? that will tell you either way

si2001

Member +
most likely fuel cut. have you done an ecu fault code check? that will tell you either way

It's something that had crossed my mind but then spec of my car hasn't changed for a good 7 months, at first I thought it might of been down to the cold, but it was fairly mild today in comparison to previous days. Do you think it's still worth checking out? Even though the throttle cable was off it's bracket?

dac69er

Super Moderator
well sort the throttle cable out. but just check the ecu error codes as you only need 5 minutes and a paperclip.

when mine was fairly standard it would sometimes hit fuel cut.

weeJohn

Lifer
It's something that had crossed my mind but then spec of my car hasn't changed for a good 7 months, at first I thought it might of been down to the cold, but it was fairly mild today in comparison to previous days. Do you think it's still worth checking out? Even though the throttle cable was off it's bracket?

Things fail, you could have a vacuum pipe to the actuator leaking and that would raise your boost, could also have a map sensor fault.

si2001

Member +
well sort the throttle cable out. but just check the ecu error codes as you only need 5 minutes and a paperclip.

when mine was fairly standard it would sometimes hit fuel cut.

I think your right. Sorted the throttle cable out, did a fault code check and I get 3 flashes, slight pause followed by 4 flashes which I think must mean it's been hitting fuel cut. Thanks for suggesting checking it. I would of just changed the plugs and leads thinking that would fix it.

si2001

Member +
Things fail, you could have a vacuum pipe to the actuator leaking and that would raise your boost, could also have a map sensor fault.

Checked the actuator pipe, it's a pretty short run to the turbo from the actuator. Pipe is only about 7-8 months old though and it is decent quality rubber pipe, still feels fresh. Think it's worth swapping out just to rule it out? To be honest I'm surprised it's not happened before now as it's supposed to be running a 1 bar spring (don't have a boost gauge to check - on the to do list).

AdamB

Member +
I think your right. Sorted the throttle cable out, did a fault code check and I get 3 flashes, slight pause followed by 4 flashes which I think must mean it's been hitting fuel cut. Thanks for suggesting checking it. I would of just changed the plugs and leads thinking that would fix it.

Thats code 34, excessive boost pressure. So your more than likely hitting fuel cut. Have you got an aftermarket air filter? Exhaust system? Decat? All these things will cause boost creep.

weeJohn

Lifer
Checked the actuator pipe, it's a pretty short run to the turbo from the actuator. Pipe is only about 7-8 months old though and it is decent quality rubber pipe, still feels fresh. Think it's worth swapping out just to rule it out? To be honest I'm surprised it's not happened before now as it's supposed to be running a 1 bar spring (don't have a boost gauge to check - on the to do list).

Fit the boost gauge mate, it will help out a lot in diagnosing stuff like this.

si2001

Member +
Thats code 34, excessive boost pressure. So your more than likely hitting fuel cut. Have you got an aftermarket air filter? Exhaust system? Decat? All these things will cause boost creep.

Yeah, have the full WEPR CT9 Power up kit, external wastegate with 1 bar spring, air filter directly on the turbo, japspeed full exhaust system inc decat, however it's been on the car about 7-8 months which just seems a bit strange that only now it's hitting fuel cut. So not too sure if something else has changed. I might just replace all the hosing to make sure.

si2001

Member +
Fit the boost gauge mate, it will help out a lot in diagnosing stuff like this.

Agreed, I think that's the way to go, next wage the car is getting a bit of TLC I think. I spent £500 on the wifes motor this month so I think my car is due something :)