Throttle Position sensor.

Ben89

Lifer
What symptoms would i excperience if the the tps was out of adjustment?
iv read through the tutorial on adjusting it.
im excperiencing the car hunting for its idle, when hot and cold. im also finding the car is juddereing and lurching back and forth on low throttle, any thoughts as to what may be worth checking?
all leads plugs dissy etc are in good condition and only a few months old and i have checked for water etc.

Ben89

Lifer
Ok sounds a bit like me mine although she doesn't cut out. Seems to be getting worse, I think il have to get the feeler gauges and multimeter out over the week end if the snow isn't too bad!
Any other thoughts?

Ben89

Lifer
Right, cleaned the icv up and it was a right state tbh, BUT the problem still hasn't been resolved, I watched the car warm up from stone cold it seems to hunt a lot more when it's off cold start and up to full operating temperature, I'm still finding it hard to figure if there's a slight misfire there aswell, but it is defiantly hunting, almost to the point of cutting out. I took it out for a long test drive of mixed driving then sat it at idle again, the problem was still there, but the car is driving perfect.....?
What are my next steps?

have you tried doing a diagnostic?...any codes?
do you have any vacuum leaks?...check all your hoses
is your MAP sensor properly connected?
how is your ignition system? - plugs, plug wires, ignitor, coil, distributor, etc

weeJohn

Lifer
It could be the tps, when the throttle body warms up it could be expanding enough to open the bottom contacts of the tps and making the ecu think the throttle is not closed. That stops it using the ICV and gives erratic idle.

Easy way to check is to remove the plug from the tps and link the bottom 2 connections of the plug with a piece of wire. This effectively is what signal the tps would be sending back to the ecu with the throttle closed but takes the tps out of circuit, illiminating any fault in it causing a problem with idle control.

If it still hunts then there is another problem as well as a possible tps setting fault.

Ben89

Lifer
right then, it chucked a code this morning so when i got in i did a quick diagnostics check, it showed code 31.
which when i checked looked like map sensor signal-open or short circuit.
now is there anything you guys reckon i should check before i go to toyota tomorrow morning to buy a new map sensor?

Ben89

Lifer
Check for a second hand one for sale on here 1st mate, that wont be cheap from Toyota.

Lol yea iv managed to get a second hand one, was almost sick when they told me it was 220 quid lol!!! I've repped you for your help mate!!

weeJohn

Lifer
Lol yea iv managed to get a second hand one, was almost sick when they told me it was 220 quid lol!!! I've repped you for your help mate!!

I wonder what dreamer comes up with those figures lol. Thanks for the rep and I hope thats you sorted.