Tick Tick!

shauntgtt

Member +
Just literally fitted my new 330cc injectors, all went well, started her up, checked for any visible issues.....absolutely fine, no issues at all..........until.......

I started hearing a weird noise it sounded like an exhaust does when it is cooling down, a sort of tick tick tick!

I then took her up to 2000rpm and noticed on the way back down the revs to idle this noise got considerably worse and turned into more of a rattle - very similar to what a noisy old diesel sounds like!

And before anyone says, its not the wastegate flap thing where the actuator connects to! And im also sure that this is not as a result of the injectors (noticed this happening last week too)!
I'm really kind of worried that my engine is screwed! :confused:

Any help is really appreciated!

Cheers

shauntgtt

Member +
you sure its not just injector tick? even standard starlets have that, and its pretty noticeable..

I'm 99.9% sure its not injector tick as I know what this sounds like from before, plus its only making the noise when i let off the accelerator?!

shauntgtt

Member +
does it go away after you have driven the car for a while and its heated up?

Well i took it for a quick spin (under 5 mins) and didn't notice it so much but it wasn't there before, well up until a couple of weeks ago anyway?!

gv1.3

Admin
could be a cracked manifold.. they can make an odd ticking kind of noise. Sometimes it goes away when they heat up.

If you get a long screw driver and put it to your ear and then to various parts you think the noise might be coming from you might hear it better and isolate the problem.

shauntgtt

Member +
Ah-ha! Now that could be it as the noise is coming from that area (hence why I thought it may of been the engine)! Luckily I have a new one sat next to me which I hope to fit on Saturday....

Will I do any damage driving with it cracked, assuming it is of course!??

Will I do any damage driving with it cracked, assuming it is of course!??

well unless you have a cast iron manifold on then chips of it can break off and fall inside into the turbo if it is cracked

and the only other thing might be the lambda sensor picking up a false reading as some of the gasses have escaped before they reach the lambda..

^ i could be over exagerrating the above but id be weary of it and if it is cracked change it asap:)