Today I've learnt an expensive lesson...

Luke.R

Member +
Hi guys, if anyone remembers some of my pervious threads a few months ago trying to find the cause of my engine knock and why it's blowing out blue smoke under boost etc, then after messing about I've found that the pistons in the forged engine I bought off someone secondhand in Manchaster have stupid amounts of play left and right, which I believe is causing the rattle I could never fix, and also the reason my inlet manifold is always full of oil, due to blow by the rings.

Now the engine has always done this from the second I turned the key after fitting it in my starbo, and I did prime it proparly first etc, etc.

Basically what I'm trying to say is never let someone tell you what your buying is 100% and is in perfect working order without getting some sort of proof or at least testing it.

Well infact maybe this is more aimed at people wanting a second hand Forged engine, gearbox or something that you can't really test at time of purchuse, because you only have the word of the person that it runs fine when it's sat on the floor in front of you.

I had no doubt it was forged as I know where it came from, but this fella swore it was a perfect engine with around 10k miles on it, when really it's knackered, and now I need to get either 4 bigger pistons or another block and mess about with bearing etc.

From the day I turned the key I put threads up trying to work out what it was kidding myself it wasn't f*cked, and after texting the bloke who sold it me, and basically him still telling me it's fine, and arguing the toss with him I'm now out of pocket.

My fault....prob because I trusted what somebody told me, because I thought they might have been a decent human being, I mean I couldn't sleep at night if I knew I sold something like that to someone knowing it was scrap, but still letting them part with their hard earned cash. It's kinda like trying to sell my car how it is, maybe use 70w90 to get rid of the noise and sell it in 100% working condition, but I could never do that. Just seems that some people don't give a damn.

Thats my little rant over anyway.

So back to square one, and now to work out what to do with it.

Luke.R

Member +
Yep, shouldn't have bought it without hearing it, but people break motors all the time, and can't always leave them in a operational state. I was one of the unlucky ones.

AdamB

Member +
If you need a hand mate give me a shout, I got a 4E here if you need one mate, still in the car though as still waiting to build my 5E up.
I did wonder if you had sold it as I hadn't seen yours about for a while then see it this week, shit news mate :(

weeJohn

Lifer
Unfortunately, there are some people out there that dont really care about what they sell, once they have the cash its the buyers problem is their moto, not very nice.

The other thing you have to consider is the seller was a muppet and didnt know the engine had any problems, he could have just thought thats the way it should have been.

Luke.R

Member +
Cheers guys, the bloke didn't really seem to really know about engines to be honest, but then you can't really miss the fact it uses a litre of oil every two weeks, rattles, and breathes heavier than Darth Vader lol, the blokes a complete c0ck and he's not a member or at least an active member on this starlet forum, but I won't mention names, but I may take a trip back up there to post the old engine internals through his windows. ;)

Adam, how much are you wanting for it, and does it run fine?. already have two 4e lumps sat in my back garden as it is lol.

AdamB

Member +
Dump it on his car bonnet mate lol.

It needs bottom end bearings mate, but can't bet on ringland failure either, so probs no use to you mate unless you wanna rebuild it, but you already got two for that lol.