Tracking MASSIVELY out after swapping wheel hub

sdutton007

Member +
Hi,

Yesterday I had to put a replacement 2nd hand hub in my EP82 because the wheel bearing had been destroyed. Now, the car won't move in a straight line properly and if I straighten the steering wheel, one wheel is *clearly* out of alignment.

I never touched the track rod end other than to smack it out of the hub with a block of wood and a mallet, and it didn't look bent/damaged in any way.

Do some starlets have different hubs where the track rod end sits in a different position??? This is the only explanation I can think of...

Also, how easy is it to adjust the tracking (just to get it closer to straight until I can get it done next week) ? And is it as simple as loosening the nut and twisting the bar?

I'm not 100% sure where the hub came from - its been sitting in my garage for as long as I can remember lol.

Cheers:confused:

Ted

Member +
yes mate, just loosen the nut and twist the bar. you can get it pretty straight if you take your time. its those 2 bolts that hold the hub to the shock-they rarely go back in the same way- theres a small amount of play there that ruins the tracking when you mess with it.

sdutton007

Member +
yes mate, just loosen the nut and twist the bar. you can get it pretty straight if you take your time. its those 2 bolts that hold the hub to the shock-they rarely go back in the same way- theres a small amount of play there that ruins the tracking when you mess with it.

I thought the play in those bolts affected camber only? I don't really see how they can affect tracking...?

get them laser aligned and tracked it shouldnt cost more than £30-£40

I will do - can get it laser aligned for £24.

I still want to know what caused this though ????

Texx

Super Moderator
Is it possible you've fitted a steering knuckle from a Mk1 EP82?

IIRC the Mk1 EP82 has a slightly different steering knuckle than the later cars. I can't say exactly what the difference may cause, but also worth noting is that the Mk1 front brake disc is 2.6mm taller than the brake disc used on the later cars.

Ted

Member +
I thought the play in those bolts affected camber only? I don't really see how they can affect tracking...?

I will do - can get it laser aligned for £24.

I still want to know what caused this though ????

if you change the camber angle it changes the steering angle.

sdutton007

Member +
Is it possible you've fitted a steering knuckle from a Mk1 EP82?

IIRC the Mk1 EP82 has a slightly different steering knuckle than the later cars. I can't say exactly what the difference may cause, but also worth noting is that the Mk1 front brake disc is 2.6mm taller than the brake disc used on the later cars.

Possible. The hub has a gap for the brake line to go through as well (which I havent seen before on a GT).

if you change the camber angle it changes the steering angle.

Surely this amount is fairly marginal though? If I get my tracking done THEN the camber, will my tracking be noticably out?

Texx

Super Moderator
Geometry should be adjusted in the order of caster, camber and then toe. If the rear was adjustable, adjustment would be made at the rear before the front.

Basically, front toe is always the last adjustment to be made.

sdutton007

Member +
Geometry should be adjusted in the order of caster, camber and then toe. If the rear was adjustable, adjustment would be made at the rear before the front.

Basically, front toe is always the last adjustment to be made.

Is caster adjustable and would it be out unless something was bent?

Do most tracking places do camber?

And is wheel alignment camber caster and toe?