Turbo sounds like a diesel when cold ??

Topher-EP82

Member +
Yo,

I'm after a bit of help if anyone has any info on this ...

When i start my car in the morning or whenever ( basically after its been sitting over night so its cold )

When i go to pull away my turbo sounds like its a diesel... i obviously only use light throttle when the engine is warming up. it kinda makes like a rattly whistle sound..

once the engine is half way to warm its fine and stops and the turbo sounds normal..

it lasts for about 2 - 3 minutes when i first drive the car..

i have also noticed there is some smoke midway though the rev range and also the idle seems to drop to around 500 - 600 and is alternating between 500 - 600 like up and down and up and down.. Very occasionally it has been idling at 1800 - 2000 but then i bip the throttle slightly and it drops again.

I have No idea whats going on where to even start looking..

thanks,

rage

Lifer
hmm, might be a problem with the idle control valve. on the distribution side of the intake there is a grey pod like thingy. maybe that one is at fault

AdamB

Member +
If the idle is a problem, you could have a vac leak or as said idle control valve problem.
Sort one thing at a time mate :)

Topher-EP82

Member +
thanks for the help chaps.

ok i'll have a check for the any leaks.. Strange really as it was on the dyno only a month ago and was checked over fully while it was serviced.

I'll report back.

Any idea what the turbo sound is... If you were to make a turbo sound with your mouth ( bare with me here ) and then let some saliva / spit through your teeth. thats how it sounds.

this is only happening like 3 times, i pull out of my drive in 1st change to 2nd then 3rd then change straight to 5th. by the time i stop and have to pull away again all is normal.