Turbo Whistle - Ballbearing Turbos??

Djaniero

Member +

Hey lads. Quick question for the techies in here.
In the video above at 9mins 25secs onwards…Is that turbo whistle sound produced because the evo is running a ball bearing turbo?
I think I’m having a id life crisis as I would love my GT to produce such sounds Lol.

@gorganl2000 @dac69er @Jay @ramses974

SKINY

Lifer
Can hear the Caldina whistle when you boot it, a decat pipe would increase it too, my gt-four sounded class whistling away 3.5 inch straight through system on it too
But yea, hybrid do tend to be a bit more noisy, more air etc

Last edited:

Djaniero

Member +
I don’t know if the journal bearing hybrids sound like this or is it just the ball bearing/hybrid turbos?

SKINY

Lifer
Well the Caldina is on the factory turbo and decat still.
Gt-four was both factory turbo then hybrid and whistled both, short air intake and a good size decat and exhaust system will help :)

a few people i know with modified evos have that whistle sound...here's what they have in common -- big ball bearing turbos, short air intakes, short big downpipes/exhausts (3", 4", etc)
from the time they start the car the whistling is there from idle

most ep82/91 turbo whistling noises i've heard are low/mild at best regardless of turbo set up,,,,no where near that of the evos

may be those ep82/91 owners with short or front exit exhaust can comment???

Djaniero

Member +
Thanks for the info guys.

I knew I was kind of wishful thinking with wanting to my GT to sound like that. I am thinking about changing my TD04 and engine setup again, so wondered if a vf28 would produce such sounds.

i've ran ct9, td04l, vf series, etc. on 4e and 5e...no such whistling :D but i've always ran full exhaust systems to reduce noise

the ep82/91 i remember with any kind of whistling had on downpipes only or short exhausts

Djaniero

Member +
lol damn. Oh well was worth a try.
How did you find the vf28? I was thinking about running that or a td04 hybrid on a forged 5e setup

lol damn. Oh well was worth a try.
How did you find the vf28? I was thinking about running that or a td04 hybrid on a forged 5e setup
5e tod4l was a great daily driver...very responsive, great low/mid range power...can have you smiling if you're not chasing power figures
5e vf series had more mid/top end power, but slightly more lag on gear changes and to build boost, its not dreadful, but i noticed it because i ran the td04l prior...maybe 200/400rpm difference

https://www.toyotagtturbo.com/community/index.php?threads/5e-running-tdo4l.37709/#post-464194
old dyno run from a member

Djaniero

Member +
5e tod4l was a great daily driver...very responsive, great low/mid range power...can have you smiling if you're not chasing power figures
5e vf series had more mid/top end power, but slightly more lag on gear changes and to build boost, its not dreadful, but i noticed it because i ran the td04l prior...maybe 200/400rpm difference

https://www.toyotagtturbo.com/community/index.php?threads/5e-running-tdo4l.37709/#post-464194
old dyno run from a member

I would be happy with anything between 280-300bhp at the flywheel, and better torque. So not chasing big bhp figures.
A tuner over here recommended a hybrid td04 which he has seen good figures with on the 4e. So it will be a toss up between this hybrid below and a vf28 hybrid which I am able to purchase.

Attachments

• 22B77C2E-915E-4D7B-80E8-6001DDC0E4C7.jpeg
    22B77C2E-915E-4D7B-80E8-6001DDC0E4C7.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 5