Turbocharging my ek9!!opinions

99glanzav

Banned
right lads i just bought my ek9 and im going to turbo it,
i dont know whether to take out my b16b or not,im considering putting a b18c in her and this kit

T3/T4 TO4E Turbocharger
RACING TURBO MANIFOLD
STAINLESS DOWNPIPE
FULL 3'' STAINLESS EXHAUST
38mm WG DUMP TUBE
RACING INTERCOOLER 680mm X 460mm X 180mm
700cc INJECTORS
APEXI POWER FC ECU & COMMANDER
ARP HEAD STUDS
UPRATED HEAD GASKET
ALL NEW GASKETS ALLROUND
CUSCO CATCH CAN
WALBRO FUEL PUMP
CUSTUM UPRATED RAD
HKS SSQV
DC5 UPRATED BREMBOS ALLROUND
17'' VOLK RAYS TE37s

the car already has tein type flex coilovers/adjustable damper,front and rear cusco struts and a rear lower arm bar, so im very happy the suspension is sorted,have i missed anything? oh cusco lsd!!

Gee

Member +
Some Honda engines are better suited to turbo charging than others. I'd suggest you post on some Honda/Civic forums for some info from people experienced in this field.

Last edited:

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Sone Honda engines are better suited to turbo charging than others. I'd suggest you post on some Honda/Civic forums for some info from people experienced in this field.

This is because of high compression no?

99glanzav

Banned
theres lots of very experienced people on here to give opinions though,idrees and gee just because you dont know why reply?ive also posted on ek9 owners club but would like an few opinions here.....

yes dan,toda twin plate clutch and flywheel will the job,and yes boost contoller too,am i fogetting anything else?

Gee

Member +
theres lots of very experienced people on here to give opinions though,idrees and gee just because you dont know why reply?ive also posted on ek9 owners club but would like an few opinions here.....

yes dan,toda twin plate clutch and flywheel will the job,and yes boost contoller too,am i fogetting anything else?

I was trying to help mate, as I've looked in to this before and found some engines were better suited for turbocharging than others. Not being funny, but there are people on the Honda forums with a lot more experience when it comes to turbocharging Honda engines...figures.

Wasnt trying to have a go. Take a break eh.

lanxter

Member +
ive got a video of a b18c turboed makes 480whp and doesnt half move lad, struggles to get the power down though. but get it done

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
I reacon you will get more usable power from the B16 engine, But the torque figures of the b18 should be alot more as well, It all depends what your final goal is, Big Power or Usable power

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
yes dan,toda twin plate clutch and flywheel will the job,and yes boost contoller too,am i fogetting anything else?[/QUOTE]

cold air feed,there mean't to b pretty useful on the v-tecs arn't they?

99glanzav

Banned
i know ye was only helping lads,that came out wrong...id just like some input from people on here thats all

@lanxter-480whp is too much i think,im going for 300whp:)

99glanzav

Banned
I reacon you will get more usable power from the B16 engine, But the torque figures of the b18 should be alot more as well, It all depends what your final goal is, Big Power or Usable power
@ franza - i want a mixture of both usable and big power,thats why im going for about 300whp!i wanna go the b18 route i think because if it all goes wrong i can just drop back in my b16b:)

@dan- filter will be off the turbo lad so no need for cold air feed

Rory

Lifer
right lads i just bought my ek9 and im going to turbo it,
i dont know whether to take out my b16b or not,im considering putting a b18c in her and this kit

T3/T4 TO4E Turbocharger
.50 STAGE iii WHEEL
RACING TURBO MANIFOLD
STAINLESS DOWNPIPE
FULL 3'' STAINLESS EXHAUST
38mm WG DUMP TUBE
RACING INTERCOOLER 680mm X 460mm X 180mm
700cc INJECTORS
APEXI POWER FC ECU & COMMANDER
ARP HEAD STUDS
UPRATED HEAD GASKET
ALL NEW GASKETS ALLROUND
CUSCO CATCH CAN
WALBRO FUEL PUMP
CUSTUM UPRATED RAD
HKS SSQV
DC5 UPRATED BREMBOS ALLROUND
17'' VOLK RAYS TE37s

the car already has tein type flex coilovers/adjustable damper,front and rear cusco struts and a rear lower arm bar, so im very happy the suspension is sorted,have i missed anything? oh cusco lsd!!

Lad,

List certainly looks impressive.

If your going full out on the thing, i would build a lowish comp engine, so you can make use out of the turbo.
Will also keep a good throttle response.
Where are you getting the manifold from?
I would use Hondata, instead of the Power FC imo, make better use from the Honda engine.

Follow this link for some usefull links etc on turbo'ing Hondas (You will need to registar)
http://board.hondacrx.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18862

Rory

Franza1

@ franza - i want a mixture of both usable and big power,thats why im going for about 300whp!i wanna go the b18 route i think because if it all goes wrong i can just drop back in my b16b:)

@dan- filter will be off the turbo lad so no need for cold air feed

That is true, plus you can always do the same thing if you want to sell the car afterwards, you can pick up Turbo kits pretty handy now for both engines,

What about the wiring though would the difference between them be much? Only reason i ask is would you need to modify it to put the b18 engine in the re modify it to put the b16 back in?

ragz

Member +
erm u forgot pistons and rods depending on what boost u want to run under 5 psi dont fink u need to change to forge

not 100% tho

99glanzav

Banned
@rory-thanks man,yes i forgot to mention that the enging will be fully rebuilt using low comp forgies,also high lift cams will be added also,im looking to build a 12second car as my daily drive(also have dirty derv for work):p

99glanzav

Banned
That is true, plus you can always do the same thing if you want to sell the car afterwards, you can pick up Turbo kits pretty handy now for both engines,

What about the wiring though would the difference between them be much? Only reason i ask is would you need to modify it to put the b18 engine in the re modify it to put the b16 back in?
i was thinking that also and ill have to find out the differences between them tomorro,the b16b is a very good engine though and it would be a shame to turbocharge it...the credit union is gonna love me:p

Rory

Lifer
The standard B16b cams work a treat when turbo'ing,
You really dont want a silly high lift cam when turbo'ing.
12 secs, no problem, with the right tune etc.

@ Ragz- Yes, 6 psi is max, before the pistons decide to take a wander......

Franza1

i was thinking that also and ill have to find out the differences between them tomorro,the b16b is a very good engine though and it would be a shame to turbocharge it...the credit union is gonna love me:p

With the list of modified cars you have had, I'm sure they do allready:p

True the B16 is a work of art one of the best N/A engines ever made