Turbo'ing my starlet, need few tips

keep-it-flat

Member +
well lads as says above thinking bout turboing my starlet in time to come, at the moment there's a non turbo 1.3 gi engine running on carburetor in it, would it be a big job changing over to a 4efte engine, i know the engine will drop straight in and same gearbox will do, wireing is my main concern between dash loom and engine loom... has anyone on here dropped a injection engine instead of a carb one into their starlet??.. and whats the story with the wiring is it a big job? :gt-smilie:

sanchez

Member +
Loads of people have dropped 4efte engines into starlets to replace the N/A lump.

As you say, the engine and gearbox will drop straight in, you could even use your N/A box if you wanted, just has different gear ratios.

To do the conversion you will also need the 4efte engne wiring loom, so if you get a GT engine (has stronger rods) make sure you get the GT loom and dash clocks.

Also you could change the rear axle aswell in order to get rear disk brakes, although there are people out there with high powered 4wd starlets still running the standard rear drum brakes.

keep-it-flat

Member +
Loads of people have dropped 4efte engines into starlets to replace the N/A lump.

As you say, the engine and gearbox will drop straight in, you could even use your N/A box if you wanted, just has different gear ratios.

To do the conversion you will also need the 4efte engne wiring loom, so if you get a GT engine (has stronger rods) make sure you get the GT loom and dash clocks.

Also you could change the rear axle aswell in order to get rear disk brakes, although there are people out there with high powered 4wd starlets still running the standard rear drum brakes.

ya the N/A box i have now has long ratios i could use that maybe throw a diff or somethin into for handling there supposed to make a big difference, but ya i must get the engine, wiring loom and dash loom cause as i said mine is carburetor and there is no loom at all behind the dash, have the clocks and we'll see bout the back axle a bigger break set up up front could sort that... i can get my hands on a 5e bottom end aswel, if i threw the turbo pistons into it and swapped over the turbo head would that work out to make her 5efte? its only the normal 5efe i can get not the 5efhe one

Sparky

Member +
Pretty sure the fittings on the tank will be different for the different lines, thats the case with other cars

TheStarletGT

Member +
Waste of time man. Your gonna spend a few thousand to do this and it will never be the real deal. Plus when you want to sell the car, you wont sell it easy. Just buy a genuine gt. The only thing your wanting to retain is the body. is it worth it, nope.

Engine
ecu
wiring loom
gearbox
brakes
fuel tank
lines

Many other parts.

Jay

Admin
Totally depends on the car in my experience.

Take a pic of the fuel tank from the top - to show what connections are under the plate under the back seat. That should tell us if the tank will cater for a 4E setup.

Jay

keep-it-flat

Member +
Waste of time man. Your gonna spend a few thousand to do this and it will never be the real deal. Plus when you want to sell the car, you wont sell it easy. Just buy a genuine gt. The only thing your wanting to retain is the body. is it worth it, nope.

Engine
ecu
wiring loom
gearbox
brakes
fuel tank
lines

Many other parts.

well i wouldnt be selling the car anyway cause id never get bak the money iv put into it, iv asked a few lads now and they say the way to go is buy a crashed or cheap gt with a sound engine, then u'd have everyhting u need for the conversion, get someone who knows what there at to do the conversion, break the rest of the gt then and make a small bit of money back... i think it'l work out