Unbelievably irritating leak!

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
I first noticed tranny fluid dripping from the bottom of the box after it had been rebuilt. I have changed the driveshaft seal (Passengers side) as I thought it was that but still the leak persists... Also when I took it off, there was no fluid left in it at all, after maybe 2-3 weeks of leaking.
Gurus of the trade! Isit dull for me to consider a leak from one of the bolts or somewhere else around the box ?
The symptoms are:
Small puddle each morning under the car directly off the bottom of the box
Steering rack covered in tranny fluid along with the lower arm (All passengers side)

My current plan is to clean it as much as possible, a short drive and check where the leak may be from.. My concern is it will probably just be splattered everywhere again.

If anyone has any advice for me it would be much appreciated. Or any idea's where to look for the leak particularly!
Many thanks in advance!

Martin Broon

Member +
i had the exact same problem before, turned out it was the sump gasket, didnt look like the oil was coming from their as it was always
splatterd else where with the wind, and had a oil patch every morning on the front left

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
Yer could be the same then. I'll double check but I think it might well be that. Did you replace the gasket then im guessing ? .. Im strung for cash atm might try and seal it best I can. Not sure if its a bad idea though!

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
Yer could be the same then. I'll double check but I think it might well be that. Did you replace the gasket then im guessing ? .. Im strung for cash atm might try and seal it best I can. Not sure if its a bad idea though!

The 4efte does not have a sump gasket... you just use some silicone... =)

dac69er

Super Moderator
if your gearbox goes dry then it wont be the sump leaking. if it is definitely gearbox oil then it is probably just the seal again.

i have replaced the seal and then found that it wasnt quite in far enough and then it got a bit damaged and started leaking again.

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
It had nothing in it when I took the seal out.. but it seems to be dry now, around the driveshaft its self which is weird. Most of the mess is on the gear box and splattered behind it. Thats what made me think it was something else maybe, and the fact it had recently been put back together?

dac69er

Super Moderator
ah right. sorry, misunderstood.

work out what sort of oil it is first then clean off all the remaining oil and see where it comes from.

Corkers

Fresh Recruit
Definitely tranny fluid, i know the taste of it by now! haha, sick of the stuff its been haunting me. Think that's my best option mate, clean her up, quick spin and track it best i can! Its surely flying out when the pressures high in the box so quick spin on a dry day should help me track it.