Urgent help needed!

Johnny_B

Member +
In what i now know as a stupid attempt to save money, I got a battery from a friend. The posts were too fat, so the helpful men I went to see at halfrauds said i should buy larger terminals and saw off the old ones.

I have now done this and connected them together with the new ones (see pictures). They fit pretty flush, but I've got absolutely no power frm the battery!:(
SDC10166.jpg

SDC10167.jpg

Any ideas on how to fix this mess??

Cheers

John

Somhairle

Lifer
As long as you terminated the cable correctly you should get voltage.

Check all the connections first, then put a multimeter across the two terminals of the battery to make sure its got 12-14v.

you may have a duff battery.

Make sure the earth is on tight and correct, the terminals seem to be in the right orientation, so my guess is its a faulty connection from the cable to the terminal.

check the battery is charged
then check that uv got all the wire on the terminals as u may have missed one
if that fails then id check all the fuses under the bonnet and in the car to see if there is any blown

Johnny_B

Member +
I know the battery is fine.

I didn't do anything with regards to wiring. I hacksawed off the old terminals and bolted them to new larger ones

Somhairle

Lifer
do you have a multi meter?

if so, probe the cables after the battery, as in touch the copper of the wires while it is connected to the battery.

You should get voltage, If you do get voltage, say 1 inch from the terminals, its means that the battery is connected up right.

But just for something to do, take it all apart. Terminals, battery clamps etc, and push and pull the connectors on the cable to see if they are loose.

You may get voltage with a loose connection, but when the starter motor draws current, the connection may not be strong enough to transfer it.

take it apart, retighten everything, check for voltage on the cable while connected to the battery and report back :)

Som.

Last edited:

Johnny_B

Member +
Unfortunately no multi-meter.:(

Everything else regarding connections is nice and tight.

Luckily i'm within pushing distance of a garage, so will have to take it in Monday morning. Really appreciate the help and suggestions though lads!

simonleeds

Member +
you might of disturbed the earth mate hold a piece of wire from the negertive to a decent earth point ie exhaust manifold or cylinder head you get the idea anyway ......