Using way too much fuel

Kelly

Member +
Hey all, (long time no see)

Still got the GT (never sell) been fab as always but recently noticed myself thinking fuel was getting used far toooo quickly.

So when the red light last came on, filled her right up, 32 litres and reset the mileage odometer. Now its just come up to that half way line on the tank and I've only done 100 kilometres (so like 60 miles?) so something is definately wrong, where do I start looking?

This is all town driving so should be the stock ecu settings at that point and not the emanage yeh?

No engine lights are on and the car feels fine to drive.

Any help/advice etc on what to do next/where to begin would be appreciated.

As the family car (estima) is in the garage at the min so this is the only car in use!

Kelly :)

Kelly

Member +
sorry should have stated that there is never a drop on floor where I park up and there is no smell of fuel. That would obviously stand out.

elison

Member +
Carbon deposit in the head around the intakes and on the valves and pistons. Carbon is a major factor of poor mileage. Also check your plugs and or ignition system.

dac69er

Super Moderator
work out your actual mpg, you cant go by the gauge. i get about 34mpg at the moment, that is mostly short journeys

Kelly

Member +
Thanks for the replies elison and pacman. I was thinking o2 sensor maybe?

Da69er, I'm not just going off the gauge my post says half a tank, gone in 60 miles. I stated that the full tank was 32 litres therefore its used 16 litres of fuel to do 60 miles so workouts at doing 17mpg. Worst than my legnum was!

Jay

Admin
Hey stranger..

Sensors should show up in the fault memory so have a scan at that first off. As Duncan says the gauge can be rather inaccurate at times so you may not be through exactly 16 litres but at the same time it shouldn't be a kick in the arse off it. My auto will average about 150km to the same area so unless you are using the car for short runs it does sound excessive.

Jay

Kelly

Member +
Hey Jay :)

Yea I know the gauge won't be completely accurate but I think halfway tank mark to that mileage still is worrying. I do plan on working it out again once red light flashes on.

The car is being used for town shortish runs, but it always has been and has been the same for a few yrs now. So shouldn't really have noticed a change?

Will report back :)

rosso321

Member +
Hey there.

Sounds bad alright. Have you taken out the float in the tank to see has it moved as could possible move with movement. I've a crack in my mani (bad) and I'm getting near 220 was getting 300k in the hay day.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Da69er, I'm not just going off the gauge my post says half a tank, gone in 60 miles. I stated that the full tank was 32 litres therefore its used 16 litres of fuel to do 60 miles so workouts at doing 17mpg. Worst than my legnum was!

sounds like your going off the gauge to me!!!!

all 3 of my starlets do different mileage on half a tank indicated on the gauge, but the overall mpg is similar.

filled mine up today and worked it out that i got 39mpg, but that was on a long run. you really need to work out the actual mpg as the starlet tanks are so small it makes them seem like they drink it more than other cars as you fill them up more often.