Walbro fuel pump fitting guide *

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
This is how I did it fellas, feel free to point out any glaring mistakes or death trap creating over sights!

First off,
SUNP0166.jpg

Your gonna be working with an open fuel tank so best to get this in before you go out.

Once you've killed the nicotine monkey you can begin.
I started off by popping the bonnet, disconnecting the battery and checking my fuel pressure guage, you want the fuel pressure to be nice and low (or better still, none at all) so you don't fill the inside of your car with the sweet smell of petrol.

Done? Ok. Now, the back seat. It has to come out. Theres 4 clips that hold it in place (on a Glanza anyway) and it just lifts straight up and out. Sorted, you'll be greated by this,

SUNP0195.jpg

This is the cover for the fuel tank, its held down by some sticky stuff but is fairly easy to pull off. Moving this out of the way (carefully as the wires to the pump are still connected) will reveal this,

SUNP0196.jpg

You then need to remove the 2 fuel lines. The one just out of shot is held by a clamp type clip (you know the sort) and the one you can see in the pic is held by a 17mm bolt. I'd recommend having a rag/kitchen roll/small furry animal to wipe up any spilt petrol (althought tbh it is minimal). With the 2 fuel lines off you can then undo the 8 8mm bolts that hold the fuel pump bracket in place (hope I'm making sense?) and lift (carefully) the whole lot out.

SUNP0199.jpg

Now its simply a case of removing the old pump and filter. It is held by the black fuel hose (again with clamp type clips) and you will also need to remove the wire in the top of the fuel pump (just unclip it) at both ends. You will then have this,

SUNP0200.jpg

You need to cut the brown plug off (the brown plug goes to the fuel pump bracket) and connect it to the wires that come with the Walbro pump,

SUNP0201.jpg

using

SUNP0202.jpg

This bit had me really nervous, I know nothing about electrics so I just prayed that black went to black and the red went to the blue. Anyway when I was done I had this,

SUNP0203.jpg

Theres only 1 way round that you can plug it back together so no worries there.
And the finished article,

SUNP0204.jpg

Now just carefully feed the whole lot back into your tank, do up the 8 8mm bolts and reconnect your fuel lines.

Winner! Your done :D Now all that needs to be done is reconnect your battery and start her up. This was a tense moment due to my lack of knowledge with electrics, you wouldn't believe the paraniod thoughts that went thru my head (oh my god the wires are wrong, I've just turned my car into a bomb, I'm gonna turn the key and blow up!) but my assumption of black going to black and red to blue must have been right coz I'm sat here typing this! Now all you need to do is get used to the Walbro whine!

Hope this helps anyone thinking of fitting one themselves, any questions or feedback please feel free to get in touch.

Hutch.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Its just a high pitched whining sound coming from the pump. TBH its not too bad but it is a little louder than the stock pump. Doubt you'd hear it over the stereo.

alfradio

Member +
good writeup, one question though, what does the "walbro whine" sound like?

Having just replaced a bad (very loud) Walbro (external) fuel pump, here's a
before and after video/audio clip of what they sound like... To HEAR, click
HERE.

alf :homer:

PS: In-tank pumps, from what I hear (no pun intended), are a bit quieter
PS: because they are surrounded by the fuel in the tank!

...by the way, VERY COMPLETE write-up!

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Fair play Alf, that external pump whined like a bitch. The Walbro in tank pumps are nothing as bad as that. If you strip the rear I'd imagine its a bit worse though. Luckily I've got a wife that won't let me do such things to our car!

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
Having just replaced a bad (very loud) Walbro (external) fuel pump, here's a
before and after video/audio clip of what they sound like... To HEAR, click
HERE.

alf :homer:

PS: In-tank pumps, from what I hear (no pun intended), are a bit quieter
PS: because they are surrounded by the fuel in the tank!

...by the way, VERY COMPLETE write-up!

my pump sounds pretty much like that, just a little quieter.

good writeup btw.

Tried fitting mine about 6mnths ago, had a nightmare trying to get the second fuel line off, (one with the nut). Felt like i was gona snap the whole thing if i tried to undo it. Its still sitting in the box in the garage now as we speak, lonely and in need of some high octane lovin'!!!

Mite give it another go now actually, aint doing much else!!

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I know what you mean, it sorta "cracked" open but the bolt was fine, I reckon they just get a bit stiff over the years.