waste after service

Rob_00

Member +
what should i do with the old oil and coolant after i drain it out? im guessing pouring it down a drain is a bad idea :homer:

Rob_00

Member +
previously i have given it to a mechanic i know to deal with, but i guess i will have to find the local dosposal place now

Jay

Admin
I always take mine into work (garage) and get it disposed off professionally mate. Local dumping facility should be able to advise you better.

Wouldn't advise pouring it down a drain - don't come crying when you catch something off the drinking water! :haha:

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Surely coolant is ok down the drain? but definately not oil. Our local recycling place takes the oil.

Not really, usually the contain an organic chemical ( most often ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, or propylene glycol ) But that doesn't mean that it has't been contaminated from being used in the engine, it doesn't say " If consumed seek medical advice " on the bottle for the sake of it. i'm pretty sure if it's toxic to you then it's going to be toxic to aquatic life

gv1.3

Admin
I put my old oil into old oil cans and leave it at the fence in my parents house after servicing my car and next time I look its magically vanished.... I am waiting for my father to say "will you stop leaving that stuff there for me to dispose of"... my advice would be to find out where I live and leave it at the fence for my father to get rid of..

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
I put my old oil into old oil cans and leave it at the fence in my parents house after servicing my car and next time I look its magically vanished.... I am waiting for my father to say "will you stop leaving that stuff there for me to dispose of"... my advice would be to find out where I live and leave it at the fence for my father to get rid of..

Lol, Off to Enfield With me in future. althought it's free to dispose of in my local place.

Chris

Member +
coolant down the drain!!? eh NO! just about the same if not, as toxic as oil. I would imagine most big franchises would take it off your hands, they will have the same sorta thing like at my place, big container's for recyling. Either that or justgo to a local council recyling unit.

stedee

Member +
coolant can blind you if drank, so not the best idea!

coolant can kill you!!!!!

i heard about a guy who filled is can of coke up with some because he was sick of someone drinking is coke at work.

well anyway one of the guys was off work the next day, he never said anything about it to anyone, 3 days later that guy was dead

he got 8 years hmp

John757

Member +

i heard about a guy who filled is can of coke up with some because he was sick of someone drinking is coke at work.

well anyway one of the guys was off work the next day, he never said anything about it to anyone, 3 days later that guy was dead

he got 8 years hmp

Moral of this story is - if you want to find who's taking your drink's, use coolant, it's very effective!

As others have said, local recycle yard will be your best bet.

dac69er

Super Moderator

he got 8 years hmp

surely he didnt drink much of it? doesnt exactyl taste like coke?
ive had a bit in my mouth before. done me no harm. my mate had some splash in his eyes, made them red but thats about it