Water injection???? Thoughts

yaristurbo

Member +
I often browse the web at tuning ideas and methods.
I've been looking into water injection, what are people's thoughts on this on a daily or race car.
I spoke to the boss and he says his old hill climb Astra had it and he couldn't fault it.

I haven't looked deep into it yet, but what sort of "rate of use does it have" per hour???

I may have opened a can of worms but I'm always keen to learn :)

weeJohn

Lifer
It is a proven method of tuning, its not hard to keep up with filling with water on a daily driver either as it doesnt use a lot. You seem to get what you pay for with the different systems, and where you spray in makes a big difference as well. Cant see there being much of a gain on the stock ecu, the idea of the cooling is to enable you to add timing to get a little more power, you cant do that without a standalone.

AdamB

Member +
^^^ x2,

To add to that, if you install the jet before the turbo compressor you can increase the turbo's efficiency range, and obviously installed closer to the throttle body cools the air after compression of the air and after the intercooler. So you kinda get a double cooling.

You can get systems which have a fail safe so that if water runs low it will limit certain parameters. I know Aquamist and AEM do this, but not sure on others.

It would be ideal to have an option of running 2 switchable maps where you can have a daily pottering about map, and then another with the water injection on in like a race map. I don't see the need to use water injection just pottering about, all it will do is steam cleam your pistons.

yaristurbo

Member +
Yeah, the motec I'm running will add timing lovely, and glad it doesn't use a lot.

Running it on fail safe would be difficult unless I could run a table and have motec trigger it

And the only thing with switchable maps would to carry the lap to to race days which isn't a big problem.

Cheers for input, how much more timing do you think could be added?

Last edited:

AdamB

Member +
You don't pull timing you add it. Increasing ignition advance is what gives power. Its too hard to judge on how much it would give, as it would depend on the air temp originally, how cold the water being injected is, the rate etc.
At a guess probably around 2-5 degrees.

AEM claim a big increase with their kit, which I find very optimistic, something like 20% increase.
Most standalones tend to have a feature for water injection control, I would assume that they have their own failsafe system, but I wouldn't know for sure.

AdamB

Member +
Not too bad I suppose, I think the Aquamist kits are around £400, AEM is much cheaper but not known anyone to use their kits.