weird rpm reading on emanage when car is cold

japakos

Member +
I have this weird problem. When the car is cold, The emanage reads 65000 rpm and bouncing all over the place. If at that time, I disconnect the car's tachometer from the IGF wire, the emanage reads fine! Now, if I let the car warm up good and take it for a spin with the emanage AND the car's tachometer connected to the IGF, they both read correctly. The tachometer always reads correctly, but with the both wires on the IGF pin and ONLY when the car is cold, the emanage reads crap. Any clues here?

japakos

Member +
UPDATE:
I hooked up the tacho to IG- and got a clean signal and everything is ok. Though, it bothers me to know that something is wrong if I hook both wires to the IGF. Anyone?

Jay

Admin
I've no Emanage experience but on the vehicle side of things have you checked the fault memory?

You might find a code that'll help trace what is up. Something on the ignition system could be causing the issue I'd guess.

Jay

japakos

Member +
No codes, no nothing... Anyway it seems to work like this but I really like to know what caused this thing. I mean IGF doesn't like 2 wires attached to it? Come on..
Except, maybe the tachometer is just too new to work with the ancient 4efte ecu. Makes sense then :) Lol

dac69er

Super Moderator
what tacho are you talking about? an aftermarket tacho or the standard one?

it is possible that running too much off one signal wire can degrade the signal and cause it to act up. also, i thought you were meant to take your ignition pulse from the IG- anyway?

japakos

Member +
Oem hyundai clocks that is.. Yes I can understand that running too much off one wire is not the best. I just want to know if that is a problem with something, because it happens only when the car is cold. If the emanage uses IGF for rpm then why the tacho doesn't use the same? Anyway, it works flawlessly now but I just wanted to confirm if I have a problem or something.
To conclude, IGF for emanage, IG- *(directly from coil)* to tacho.

japakos

Member +
UPDATE

It seems that after some time by hooking the tacho to IG-, the coil died and gives me misfire on idle. I need to know where to hook up my tachometer except the IG- and NE, as NE won't give me a reading. Remember if I tap both wires to the IGF signal, I get 65000 rpm on the emanage. Any help?
Oh forgot to mention that if I disconnect the ignition harness from the emanage and bridge the two wires the car won't start unless I disconnect the rpm gauge from the IG- on the ignitor! If I connect it again and run the ignition through the emanage it works but it gives me stupid idle and/or bad ignitor symptoms.

Ignitor changed and coil. Still the same shit.. I'm lost

Last edited: