welding a block

adee-ep

Member +
can you weld a crack on a block ? its a 5efe block. its cracked because the gearbox wasnt allined up properly and the blot pulling the block onto the gearbox has cracked it.

jabran200

Member +
It can be done, just needs some special treatment like preheating and stuff. Ofcourse assuming you go to a qualified welder.

Rory

Lifer
Speak to AGRA in Dundee.
They will let you know, and who to send it to if they cant.

i've had cast iron welded in the past, and it is TIG welding it just uses a fancy filler road material. I actually had mild steel welded to cast iron in the past with no issues.

Although if the cracks in the water jacket or none structual then your ok, if its in the bores or bearing journals your better off junking it

Tim
TB Developments

350ep70gr

Member +
You can weld it but you need to preheat all the sorunding area weld it and allow it to cool realy slow. Also you need to dril a small hall at the end of the crack and then weld it otherwise the crack will continiue underneath the weld without sign to notice till is broken. You can use a rotated weld machine (sorry dont know the exactly name of it) and i think you need to reverse the poles like aluminium (if i am not mistaken).

Chris

finx

Member +
The weld required to fix a cast iron engine block is done by using an Arc welder. you need to also use cast iron rods, which are extremely expensive, there is a special technique when doing it and and the job is time consuming. the crack needs to be ground right back with a good channel and also needs to be drilled in each end as 350ep70gr has mentioned to stop the crack from re occurring.

you will need to take it to a engineer to get them to access the crack and tell you weather it can be fixed or not and weather it will be worth fixing. cost of fixing it vs cost of a new block..

got a photo if said crack?