what are the benifits? (strut bars)

aaronw

Member +
its hard to come by the standard rear strut braces,so i can understand why there bought.

you have a point with the front,but if you got the cash to replace it with a branded brace,...why not :)

its hard to come by the standard rear strut braces,so i can understand why there bought.

you have a point with the front,but if you got the cash to replace it with a branded brace,...why not :)

so if that's the case, why do oem rear strut bars sell for basically nothing? i would think they are better since they bolt to three points instead of side to side like aftermarket ones.

riko666

Member +
The stock braces are just small thickness tubing with stamped ends, they're not the stiffest of structures - even some of the aftermarket braces aren't much of an improvement, especially the ones with ends located by swivel pins, as they obviously allow for movement. Oval section strut braces such as the GReddy units will be very strong as the shaft section will have a far greater torsional rigidity than cylindrical section braces.

In the end, the difference will be hard to individualise, though triangulated braced like the rear ones and the Okuyuma Carbing units will be far more effective as they minimise movement in more than a single dimension - plus the ends are solidly mounted onto the shaft, so the only movement will be in the natural twisting of the brace!

Last edited:

sanchez

Member +
The stock braces are just small thickness tubing with stamped ends, they're not the stiffest of structures - even some of the aftermarket braces aren't much of an improvement, especially the ones with ends located by swivel pins, as they obviously allow for movement. Oval section strut braces such as the GReddy units will be very strong as the shaft section will have a far greater torsional rigidity than cylindrical section braces.

In the end, the difference will be hard to individualise, though triangulated braced like the rear ones and the Okuyuma Carbing units will be far more effective as they minimise movement in more than a single dimension - plus the ends are solidly mounted onto the shaft, so the only movement will be in the natural twisting of the brace!

Thread closed!!! haha

rep added!

I never saw the sense of the strut bar with the swivel ends

gglavin

Member +
the factory strut brace is made from the cheapest possible material. its hollow from what i remember & if you have coilovers then a factory unit brace is not worth having on the car, after market braces for coilovers are a must IMO

the factory strut brace is made from the cheapest possible material. its hollow from what i remember & if you have coilovers then a factory unit brace is not worth having on the car, after market braces for coilovers are a must IMO

why are they a must? though they might be hollow, they are round should give it additional strength