What be this terrible squeaking.

had this problemn for a week or so in my car now.

When it has been cold or damp when i turn the car on all is good however when i begin to drive i get a terrible squeaking noise. It gets louder under acceleration however after a couple of minutes ( i'm assuming as things warm or dry a little under there )all is fine.In the dry however it never does it.

I'm not sure if its the fanbelt or water pump?

Any ideas... Father suggested if it was the the fanbelt to put some wd40 over it which i thought was a good idea.

Anyone else had anything similar and any indicative repair costings?

Thank you.

dac69er

Super Moderator
itll be the belt mate. just tighten it up a bit. or if its tight or looks a bit past it change it for a new one and make sure its tight, but not too tight

How accesible are the tensioners and what tools would i be needing, i've got to do a service on it in a week or so and may as well try to hit the lot together.

dac69er

Super Moderator
from memory you will need a selection of 14 and 12mm sockets and spanners, just makes thins easier with more of a selection. may also need a bar or some kind or a large screwdriver to lever things over to get tension on the alternator belt, the powersteering/aircon belt has a tensioner.
you need to access them from both below and ontop to make the job as easy as possible.

its pretty easy mate. youll work it out once you have a look

Fishy89GT

Banned
yep as above, its not difficult to do, just loosen the bolt that holds the alternator in the "silder" bit lol, push / pull / twist the alternator towards the rear of the car to tighten the belt then just tighten the bolt up again.

quick note : its really easy to over tighten the bolt when doing it up again and you will snap the bolt, then you will need a new alternator as its next to impossible to get the other half of the bolt out.. so go easy on the tightening :)