what is gearbox worth with a trd helical lsd

stedee

Member +
what would be a good price to pay for a good box with a trd helical lsd and is there anyway of telling it what lsd it is without opening, i do know the shafts both spin in the same direction but thats about it

cheers steve

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
to make sure open it before u buy it ;) otherwise u dont know what ur buying...

as for price well it depends on the milage/condition.. the trd helical lsd is worth at least 500gbp coz its out of production... so comes in the rare factor.. gbox well anything up to 150.. so id say something in that region..

kon

stedee

Member +
its mine lol, someones hagling with me and it was already at a very good price, is it easy to open (nothings gonna come flying out like springs ,ball bearings etc.

to make sure open it before u buy it ;) otherwise u dont know what ur buying...

as for price well it depends on the milage/condition.. the trd helical lsd is worth at least 500gbp coz its out of production... so comes in the rare factor.. gbox well anything up to 150.. so id say something in that region..

kon

lvaleiron

Member +
:holdit:stedee, you cannot know for sure if it's a trd helical in it unless you crack the trans open, why you may ask?, Helical LSD acts like an open diff in normal situation, so if you spin one wheel the other one will spin in the opposite direction if both wheels are on the air, they act like an lsd when there is almost 3:1 torque split. If both wheel spins in the same direction then is a mechanical lsd. Hope this helps mate.

Last edited:

TO82

Member +
:holdit:stedee, you cannot know for sure if it's a trd helical in it unless you crack the trans open, why you may ask?, Helical LSD acts like an open diff in normal situation, so if you spin one wheel the other one will spin in the opposite direction if both wheels are on the air, they act like an lsd when there is almost 3:1 torque split. If both wheel spins in the same direction then is a mechanical lsd. Hope this helps mate.

Good info there mate :) Rep added

weakboy2

Member +
my quaife is helical and both wheels spin in the same direction, but if you only have one wheel up it will still spin ;)

so not the best info.

TO82

Member +
i dont think this box has a trd helical diff then as you can see straight through the drive shaf holes.

Not sure on the make though?

lvaleiron

Member +
my quaife is helical and both wheels spin in the same direction, but if you only have one wheel up it will still spin ;)

so not the best info.

If you spin it real hard it will lock and spin both wheels in the same direction because there is more torque on one wheel than the other , this type of lsd uses a locking effect that works when there is some torque split between wheels. You can have a read here http://www.torsen.com/general/general_faq.htm

I've seen quaife diff and the ones i saw in other cars do not spin wheels on the same direction if you try to rotate by hand gently with a gear engaged.

stedee

Member +
thanx but not really helped me, 1st off the diff doesnt clunk at low speeds, if it wheelspins on the straight it spins perfectly straight you can only tell you are spinning cos you are not going anywhere, you can actually feel the diff pulling you round bends, you can feel it in the steering, what other trd diffs are there and how easy is it to take the box apart to take photos

cheers steve

lol i have just read that starlets do 60 in 2nd, mine wouldnt, somebody said the trd gearset reduces the ratio is this true, does anybody know about this cos i have a feeling ive got the whole trd shebang oh and btw mine used to accelerate like a monster faster than my new car - boohoo and thats an evo 6

Last edited: