What now?

braindamage

Member +
Hey guys,just built me a 5EFTHE and it had been working fine for about 2 months.All of a sudden i am smoking out the exhaust .I pulled out the spark plugs and took my flashlight and lite down in the cylinders ,only to find that all the top of the pistons are wet,i did a compression test and it did 170psi across all 4 cylinders.Other than that the car works fine .What an this be :confused:

350ep70gr

Member +
Hey guys,just built me a 5EFTHE and it had been working fine for about 2 months.All of a sudden i am smoking out the exhaust .I pulled out the spark plugs and took my flashlight and lite down in the cylinders ,only to find that all the top of the pistons are wet,i did a compression test and it did 170psi across all 4 cylinders.Other than that the car works fine .What an this be :confused:

Check your pcv for good operation and do a ride without the hose from ic to tb just like n/a and see if the smoke remains.Also what color is the smoke? Like oil smoke,coolant smoke,fuel smoke?

Chris

when u say "wet"...is it oil or gas? you really need to give us a better description to get more precise responses

how is your turbo?...in addition to what chris said, check valve stem seals if you see oil --did you change them recently?

braindamage

Member +
the engine was rebuilt before going in with all new parts .When i say the top of the piston is wet ,i mean with oil and the smoke is white:confused:

corofin12345

Member +
unusual for all four 2 be wet...could be turbo oil seal gone id say.. take off turbo pipe 2 intercooler and see is there any oil in there.. or at inlet manifold

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +
unusual for all four 2 be wet...could be turbo oil seal gone id say.. take off turbo pipe 2 intercooler and see is there any oil in there.. or at inlet manifold

Most of the times turbo will leak the exhaust side..so he need to drop the downpipe to see..;)
Or ride without tb hose like n/a and dont built possitive pressure for testing propose...;)

Chris

corofin12345

Member +
Most of the times turbo will leak the exhaust side..so he need to drop the downpipe to see..;)
Or ride without tb hose like n/a and dont built possitive pressure for testing propose...;)

Chris

smiley3.gif
wonder why all four pistons are wet/oily tho:)

350ep70gr

Member +
smiley3.gif
wonder why all four pistons are wet/oily tho:)

Cause of a blocked pcv?cause of a turbo leaking seal?
Dont take it that i mean you are wrong..I agree with your side also!

best bet is to strip it and find the problem

Stip what? at 170 psi i wouldnt stip anything that easy...It is better to check easy things first,elleminate them and then start opening major jobs..
How about striping the top end and find out that just a pcv valve is blocked or whatever...;)

Chris